cherokee parts to a comanche

The good part is the list of what won't swap is shorter than what will.

Generally speaking, everything in the engine bay and front suspension is all the same, provided you're in the same year range. ALL front axles are interchangeable, with minor differences that aren't a problem.

Engine bays are the same, front clip is the same, hood is the same.

We'll be able to tell you for sure if you tell us what part you're talking about specifically. :thumbsup:

well i just bought one yesterday that in pretty good shape for michigan and it has a 4 cylinder 2wd so i was just going to buy a cheap cherokee and swap the axles tranny engine so i need to know what year i need to buy my is a 89

well i just bought one yesterday that in pretty good shape for michigan and it has a 4 cylinder 2wd so i was just going to buy a cheap cherokee and swap the axles tranny engine so i need to know what year i need to buy my is a 89

Any from '87-'90 should work if you are keeping the 2.5L. But beware that if you are going to swap in a 4.0L, you will need the harness also. So if you want to do basically a whole drivetrain swap, you can get into the '91-'92's. Just swap the vehicle harness also.

Rob L.

would a 93 cherokee work on a comanche just the engine and what is that high output thing

No you will need computer and wiring harness. High Output is when Jeep changed the injectors, ecu, intake manifold, and cylinder head (I'm pretty sure) It would be better if you got the whole Jeep and swapped one to the other.. Also the underdash harness is different, along with speedo.

its the whole cherokee with a 4.0l and i want to swap it over to my 89 comanche so that won't work

If you have the complete XJ then you will be able to swap everything over.. You might have to do something about a driveshaft for the rear though..

You are starting with a 4-cylinder MJ and swapping in a 6-cylinder engine, so you will have to change the computer and engine control harness anyway. Going to an HO won't be THAT much more work ... but you will have to be aware of the differences from the Renix system to the Chrysler (HO) system.

Keep in mind that, although any XJ front axle will bolt into any MJ, there were a couple of changes over the years affecting hubs, rotors, calipers and steering knuckles. Short version -- keep ALL of the above from the same year and you're okay. Once you swap an axle, be sure you're using calipers that belong with that axle.

So that 93 cherokee will work if i take all the wiring and computer with it and about how long do the 6 cylinders last

I hope its a real long time the one i plan on transplanting already has 265k on it. :nuts:

So that 93 cherokee will work if i take all the wiring and computer with it and about how long do the 6 cylinders last

As long as you can take care of them. oil changes every 2,500 is what I do. I currently own a '93 with 286,000 miles and running strong. Just uses a little oil(as expected at that milage).

Rob L.

The 4.0 are usually good for 200000 or better depending on how well it was kept up. They are a great high milage motor as long as the oil is changed regularly. They will have their share of oil leaks, but nothing that can't fairly easily be taken care of. I'm sure there are a few on here with even more than 200k on the clock. being a dealer tech, I see a bunch of cherokees, and grands with the 4.0 that people will just drive the wheels off of them with the trusty 4.0 still going strong.

The rear drive shaft and rear axle will not work. Everything else will.

You will have to find a 91 or 92 MJ fuel pump assembly. Despite what parts stores will tell you, they do not have them, and Cherokee ones will not work. The pumps are the same between Cherokee and Comanche, the assembly is not. Also the fuel level sender is different between Renix (86-90) and Chrysler (91-01). If you reuse your Comanche sender it will read backwards, and the resistance values are off.

I hope its a real long time the one i plan on transplanting already has 265k on it. :nuts:

While it's out -- remove the oil pan, replace the main and rod bearings and the rear main seal, check the front seal and the vibration damper, then replace the pan using the newer one-piece pan gasket. You should then be good for another 200,000 miles if you stay on schedule withthe oil and filter changes.

• 2 weeks later...

i need to know if a jeep wrangler front axle will fit my comanche and what year the wrangler has to be, also is a 2wd axle different from a 4wd cause i looked around and the 4wd axles are bigger than my 2wd.