Need some help, wedding vows

shelbyluvv

As many know I proposed to my girl a few weeks ago. We decided to write our own vows. This is where my Comanche Club family come in to save the day. I am have having a bad case of writer's block and can't seem to come up with something Jeep, dirt, mud, rock, wrenching, and all around gear head related. I ask you all to assist me with writing my wedding vows. It will be a community project and I will post the final vows here before I say them to Steph in late August.

I like writing even though I usually don't use proper sentences. Fragments and sometimes not even words but the noises that I'm thinking in my head. (Yup... that's not a full sentence either.) Think of writing something like vows like how you would speak them out loud... because that's what's going to happen. When I wrote mine, I just started writing down fun little memories that Robyn and I have shared over the years and then started connecting the dots to form a complete thought that includes past, present, and future reminders. What are some things that she does different from everyone else? Be specific... it'll let her know that it's the details in life that you're paying attention to even if it's day-to-day examples.

Here's mine... still remember word-for-word from eight years ago.

I still remember the first time I said "I love you".

There was no moon that night, but the stars would just glitter in your eyes.

... and I remember the starts being the brightest I've ever seen.

But it wasn't the sky that would make the world shine that night.

It was the girl that was sitting next to me.

It was the girl that would give me a total loss of words.

It was the girl that was holding my hand.

And now I hold your hand today, and I look into your eyes again... but it's not the stars I see.

Today I see tomorrow, and the next day, and... and surprising you with french toast in the morning, and going to the park, and feeding the ducks... even though the signs say not to, and... and kissing you every night just before you fall asleep.

And every time I say those three little words it means more than the last.

So today... I love you, Robyn, more than ever.

But not more than I will tomorrow.

The wedding was in my parent's back yard. Little bit of a breeze that day too. Still, not a dry eye in the crowd. Mission accomplished.

As far as the "Jeep, dirt, mud, rock, wrenching, and all around gear head related stuff", there's no reason you can't work any of that into the wedding itself.  Our unity candle was my rose-bud torch (fueled with propane for a nice, big, sooty flame and lit with his and hers flint strikers!), and the get away car was my Beetle... but that's only because my Eliminator was in a few thousand pieces at that point.

Weddings are awesome ESPECIALLY when they're your own! Make it awesome. :thumbsup:

Very nice Ben! Beautiful wedding pictures as well. We are getting married in my friends back yard. Neither of us have family close by and the great people here in south Georgia have taken us in as family.

All the guys in this picture are my local family. The really tall guy behind me got ordained so he can marry us. A great bunch of people to surround myself with.

10376940_10205500651547817_5891083410175

Just be honest and let her know what she means to you, and what that means you will do for her.  I think lots of people tend to over think this kind of stuff and want to sound like poets.  Just be yourself and be honest.

I'm with "89" on this. Don't overthink it or rehearse a speech because that tends to come off canned. Just sit down and do as neohic said - write down what makes her special and the only one for you. Then put those basic points firmly in your mind and run through them regularly so they'll retrieve when you're ready to say them to her. Just look in her eyes and let the thoughts come out as words. They'll mean more as open expressions of how you actually feel about her than as a rehearsed speech.

For our 50th we went to Maui and I wanted to do a big deal vow renewal. But it just got to be a hassle trying to line the whole thing up long distance. So, after dinner on our anniversary I took her hand, walked out to the beach overlook and told her that I love her more now than ever before, that she is more beautiful now than the day we married, that she is the only woman for me, that I appreciate how she's able to put up with my crap and still love me (phrased that a little differently), that I want to spend how every many years God gives us going to sleep beside her, waking up next to her each morning, and sharing all the big and little things in our life together.

There were more words than that, but as long as the thought comes across, that's all that matters.

As many know I proposed to my girl a few weeks ago. We decided to write our own vows. This is where my Comanche Club family come in to save the day. I am have having a bad case of writer's block and can't seem to come up with something Jeep, dirt, mud, rock, wrenching, and all around gear head related. I ask you all to assist me with writing my wedding vows. It will be a community project and I will post the final vows here before I say them to Steph in late August.

Neohic's verse is very nice, but IMHO (as an ordained minister) not what I've ever encountered as "vows." Your vows are the promises you make to each other. Traditionally, the vows are the same for the man and for the woman -- the typical "... for better or for worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, ..." etc. In more modern wedding the vows are customized, but still they are usually pretty much parallel. After all, you are entering into a contract, a bond, a commitment, that will last (hopefully) for a lifetime. The vows aren't the place/time to recap your courtship. The vows are are where you make promises to each other for how you're going to care for each other in the future.

Of course, I'm an olde pharte, and a hide-bound traditionalist on top of that. I think if Jeeps and off-roading and such are central to both of your lives, and you can work it into your vows in a respectful way, then go for it. But my personal opinion is that trying to be "cute" when writing the vows isn't really respectful of the marriage you'll be entering into.

So, a basic question: Are the two of you planning for your vows to mirror each other's, or are your promises to her going to be completely different from her promises to you?

This is what I have wrote down so far for my personal part to her. There are a lot of things in there that will only mean something to her and I.

I promise,

To ride beside you through the smooth or rocky days,

to rejoice with you when things go our way,

to comfort you when they go awry,

when it is dark, I’ll dance with you in the glow of headlights and kiss you under the moonlight,

when you are feeling stuck ,I’ll help you power through,

when you are scared, I will reach out for your hand,

when you are lost and can't find your way, I'll be your map and guide you,

to turn to you for wisdom, guidance & installation instructions.

to be ever faithful, to shower you with love and affection,

And I promise you,

If I had to make the choice, I’d do it again today, tomorrow and Oliver, for the rest of my days

These were my vows many years ago.

Wifey your my best friend, my love for life, my last love. I promise you my deepest love, my fullest devotion, my tenderest care, through the pressures of the present and the uncertainties of the future. I promise to love you, to commit to you, and support you. You have shown me what true love feels like and for that I thank you. You are everything I need and at this moment I know all of my dreams have come true, for all of your love and constant friendship. I know that our love is ever lasting and I promise to be here for ever and ever. From this day forward, you shall not walk alone as I will be with you every step of the way. We will grow old and our lives will slowly begin to change, but this i promise you the one thing that will not change will be my love for you. My heart will be your home and my arms will be your shelter. As I have given you my hand to hold, I give you my life to keep. I will be by your side, a part of one entity, but above all else, I will allow you to be you.

I love you.