4bt turbo diesel MJ

So I've really been tossing around the idea of doing a 4bt swap in my jeep. I've seen people on the internet do it to all sorts of vehicles from nissan 240s all the way to full size pickups. I just want some inside knowledge on what all I'd need to do before I take on this project. I love my 4.0l but it's getting tired and i think something like a 4bt would be a good replacement.

You see these swaps and they are ok for a "neat factor" but are they realistic? 4bt = 800 pounds, 105 horsepower & 265 #/' of torque. A stock 4.0 HO is 190/225 and weighs less than 500 pounds. What do you think that extra weight will do to your handling and the front subframe? I can't imagine the thought process of the doof who put one in that Nissan 240.  What does a complete 4bt turbo go for? A quick Ebay search shows them for around 3 grand!!! That is before the adapters, mounts, exhaust, and all sorts of other expenses...you know, little things like transmissions that will work with a transfer case and the transfer case itself to match that tranny. You could easily buy a rebuilt 4.0 with a mod or two that will further destroy the 4bt in HP and exceed it in torque and be bolt in while spending less then just buying the used 4bt itself.  Just because you can and others have doesn't mean you should. 

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/engine/154-1006-top-10-dumbest-jeep-engine-swaps-ever/

If you really want to do a Cummins diesel swap, look at the smaller 3.3 engine.  Think the weight is around 600 lbs vs the 800+ for the 4BT.

Now I think the really "smart" diesel conversion is the VW 1.9 TDI engine.  90 hp and 150 ft/lbs stock.  Spend $300 for a chip tune and you are at 120 hp and 225 ft/lbs.  Plus the engine only weighs 350 lbs.  Get an adapter plate to a Toyota transmission and you are good for a whole lot less $$ than a Cummins.  Want more power, then change the turbo and injectors.  That would get you to 225 hp and 380 ft/lbs with the 1.9 TDI engine.  Or do a MB 5 cylinder diesel conversion for more $$ than the VW but still way less than the Cummins.  and the MB engine is even more bullet proof than the 4.0.  For the MB, the truck needs to be raised a couple of inches for clearance.  $10K with a rebuilt MB engine.  Look at $20K for the Cummins

Yes, I have toyed with a diesel sway for several years.  But it is a problem in California.

My 3.3 Cummins swap. (truck is currently still being built) motor is awesome.

http://comancheclub.com/topic/40407-cummins-b33-powered-mj-build/

Motor only weighs about 100 more pounds than 4.0 and has 85hp/215 torque

Took about 11 months from the day I bought it the motors to find all the parts and research and get it in and drive it!

Way easier than I thought it would be. Me and my dad did everything ourselves in our garage with this being our first diesel and my first motor swap.

Lots of custom brackets.

Cost about $7500-8000 so far.

Not something you just want to do. For the cool factor, it wins in my opinion but as an alternative to a tired 4.0,....no.

And a 4bt is waaay bigger than the 3.3.