ZJ Steering Box Question

I've seen several topics relating to using the ZJ steering box to get a faster (12.7 I think) turning ratio. Are all ZJ steering boxes the same or is there a difference between the ones on the V8 models vs the 6 cylinder models ? The parts stores/JY's claim they are all the same but I thought I read somewhere that only the V8 ones were the faster gear. If so, how do you identify the boxes with the 12.7 turning ratio? Thanks for help on this...

All 92-1/2-98 ZJs have the quick ratio ratio.

You can ID them by the Alpha codes for the appropriate year that are stamped on the box as follows:

92-1/2-94: AL

95: JH

96: KD

97-98: WK

Thanks hornbrod..That's exactly what I needed to know.

All 92-1/2-98 ZJs have the quick ratio ratio.

You can ID them by the Alpha codes for the appropriate year that are stamped on the box as follows:

92-1/2-94: AL

95: JH

96: KD

97-98: WK

Don, do you know if this holds true for rebuilt boxes from the parts chains? After all, the exterior of the ZJ and XJ boxes is the same, they are both a basic Saginaw box. Do you suppose the rebuilders pay attention to those codes when they stuff new guts in the boxes?

Don, do you know if this holds true for rebuilt boxes from the parts chains? After all, the exterior of the ZJ and XJ boxes is the same, they are both a basic Saginaw box. Do you suppose the rebuilders pay attention to those codes when they stuff new guts in the boxes?

For sure they don't Eagle. I tried to get a rebuilt box at a couple of the parts chain houses, and they let me try several "ZJ" boxes by turning it lock-to-lock. They were all the same number turns as my 14.1:1 ratio box. I ended up using a low mileage ZJ box from a 1996 model.

For sure they don't Eagle. I tried to get a rebuilt box at a couple of the parts chain houses, and they let me try several "ZJ" boxes by turning it lock-to-lock. They were all the same number turns as my 14.1:1 ratio box. I ended up using a low mileage ZJ box from a 1996 model.

That's what I was afraid of. Do you by any chance remember how many turns, lock-to-lock, for either the 14:1 or the 12.7:1 ratio box? I know the 14:1 box is 3-1/2 turns in the vehicle, but the travel is limited by the stops on the steering knuckles. Out of the vehicle, is the bare 14:1 box maybe 4 turns?

I'd go dig up the one I took out an MJ several years ago, but fuzzy memory is that it was a boogered up variable ratio or 18:1 ratio box anyway, so without knowing its origins for certain I wouldn't want to use it as the basis for providing guidance on how to check a bare box for ratio.

Yeah Eagle, I was trying to remember how many turns vs. the rate of the Pitman arm sweep, but I can't remember. You know how that goes. Look at this link, then click on the spreadsheet link. The ZJ box specs are at the bottom of the spreadsheet. It was very obvious I remember comparing the two on the bench side-by-side.

http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref29.html

I'm glad this came up now, because I was just shopping online (autozone.com, rockauto.com) and they seem to make no distinction between the ZJ and XJ/MJ boxes. Rockauto has a-1 Cardone part # 277570, which it lists specifically for 96-98 WJ. Right under it, they have 277582, which lists 96-98 XJ and ZJ, and 97 TJ.

Can you imagine having a v8 Grand Cherokee, with 12.7:1 steering, and buying one of these slushboxes and wondering why your steering is so loose? :fs1:

I might take a chance on the former number, since RockAuto is pretty good on returns. They have a pretty hefty core charge of $150... :doh:

Tom

I'm glad this came up now, because I was just shopping online (autozone.com, rockauto.com) and they seem to make no distinction between the ZJ and XJ/MJ boxes. Rockauto has a-1 Cardone part # 277570, which it lists specifically for 96-98 WJ. Right under it, they have 277582, which lists 96-98 XJ and ZJ, and 97 TJ.

Can you imagine having a v8 Grand Cherokee, with 12.7:1 steering, and buying one of these slushboxes and wondering why your steering is so loose? :fs1:

I might take a chance on the former number, since RockAuto is pretty good on returns. They have a pretty hefty core charge of $150... :doh:

Tom

Tom: I would consider ordering one from Rock Auto also but how do you bench test it before installing it to make sure it's actually a 12.7 turn unit? :dunno: Hornbrod tried several rebuilt ones according to his post above and all were the 14.1 unit despite the part number. Can you outline how you plan to test the one from Rock Auto? That would be very helpful !

I've searched several JY's in this area and all the ones I've spotted so far are on very high mileage cars so I'm leaning toward getting a rebuilt one also if I can confirm it's a 12.7 one before installing it.

Thanks

Tom

That's odd, WJ didn't come out until 99.

The simple test would be for anyone who has an XJ or MJ box out of the vehicle to just turn the input shaft all the way to full lock (stop) in one direction, then count the number of turns to go to full lock at the opposite extreme. In the vehicles this is 3-1/2 turns for the 14:1 box, but in the vehicle there's a stop on the steering knuckle. I expect that out of the vehicle it's going to be closer to 4 full turns, but I don't know. And the only steering box I have out of a vehicle is an old one that I believe has the 18:1 ratio from the early AMC off-road option package.

Once we find out how many turns for a stock 14:1 box, anything less for a box on the counter at the parts store would indicate a 12.7:1 box.

Or you could buy directly from Borgerson and be sure you're getting the 12.7:1 box. http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalog/S ... -1384.html

The simple test would be for anyone who has an XJ or MJ box out of the vehicle to just turn the input shaft all the way to full lock (stop) in one direction, then count the number of turns to go to full lock at the opposite extreme. In the vehicles this is 3-1/2 turns for the 14:1 box, but in the vehicle there's a stop on the steering knuckle. I expect that out of the vehicle it's going to be closer to 4 full turns, but I don't know. And the only steering box I have out of a vehicle is an old one that I believe has the 18:1 ratio from the early AMC off-road option package.

Once we find out how many turns for a stock 14:1 box, anything less for a box on the counter at the parts store would indicate a 12.7:1 box.

Or you could buy directly from Borgerson and be sure you're getting the 12.7:1 box. http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalog/S ... -1384.html

Thanks Eagle and Hornbrod. I think I'll try the turns test with mine when I get it out and then take it with me to the parts counter to compare turns with a rebuilt "ZJ" unit. It'll be a couple of months from now before I can do it but I'll post an update to this topic then afterward.

I like the Borgerson unit but it's a little pricey for me right now... :cheers:

• 4 years later...

I installed a ZJ box in my 87 a few days ago. Used from one of my parts Heeps. A 93 with V8. I can compare turns lock to lock for you guys.

In the vehicle, with the factory steering stops on the knuckles, the XJ box (@ 14:1 ratio) is 3-1/2 turns lock-to-lock. The ZJ box (@ 12.7:1 ratio) is 3 turns lock-to-lock.

The question is what the lock-to-lock is for a bare box, out of the vehicle, for use when checking a rebuilt box on the parts house counter.

I installed a ZJ box in my 87 a few days ago. Used from one of my parts Heeps. A 93 with V8. I can compare turns lock to lock for you guys.

In the vehicle, with the factory steering stops on the knuckles, the XJ box (@ 14:1 ratio) is 3-1/2 turns lock-to-lock. The ZJ box (@ 12.7:1 ratio) is 3 turns lock-to-lock.

The question is what the lock-to-lock is for a bare box, out of the vehicle, for use when checking a rebuilt box on the parts house counter.

Gotcha. Too late for that. I'm not pulling it out to measure that!!

FWIW, the housing has a big Z on it. 

I'm looking to replace my steering box too. I've read the Dodge Durango box is bigger and bolts right up. Anyone here try that box?

Other wise, I'll get a ZJ box from the pull it yard.

I run a Durango steering box. I had to modify it to get the same amount of steering out of it, which I did at the same with when I drilled and tapped it for hydraulic assist. It has a larger diameter piston for more steering force, and will accept our intermediate shaft and pitman arm. It is, however, larger around to accommodate the larger piston, so it will not quite fit in the stock aluminum bracket. I ended up adding two washers between the bracket and the box at each bolt.