Mopar engine swap

I'm seriously cosidering swapping in a built 340 I have a line on. It needs to be freshed up and have a new solid lifter cam installed in it. I have either a 727 or a 999 non-lockup trannys for the 340. :chillin:

I have a Mopar 4.0 reman longblock with 3k on it an aw-4 with 85k on it and all the wiring, a complete r134 ac system with a new condenser, reciever drier, and evaporator. ;) I'll just sell all this and make my MJ as light as possible.

The 4.0 was my original plan, but a 340 is my favorite engine to have. I love to be able to spin 7500rpm no problem. :brows:

No more emission tests either.

Any thought's or input will be great.

I say you go 2.4L SRT-4, I am planning this swap. In a neon the engine gets 28 mpg highway. It has 215 hp and 200+ Lb. torque. I have found a few on Ebay.

that's practically downgrading from a 4.0 HO with a mild cam and a borla header.

i've got a 3.8 buick in my comanche that outputs more hp and torque than that, and i barely squeeze 21mpg out of it normally, but have gotten up to 27 mpg out of it.

I say you go 2.4L SRT-4, I am planning this swap. In a neon the engine gets 28 mpg highway. It has 215 hp and 200+ Lb. torque. I have found a few on Ebay.

Actually the 04's were putting down 230hp/250+ftlbs of torque

Also, a neon is a lot more aerodynamic than a brick on a wheels :brows:

that's practically downgrading from a 4.0 HO with a mild cam and a borla header

Don't forget that the 4 cylinder is a bit lighter. Not like I'd recommend the motor in a comanche, but it sure was fun in my brothers SRT-4.

Actually the 04's were putting down 230hp/250+ftlbs of torque

Also, a neon is a lot more aerodynamic than a brick on a wheels :brows:

that's practically downgrading from a 4.0 HO with a mild cam and a borla header

Don't forget that the 4 cylinder is a bit lighter. Not like I'd recommend the motor in a comanche, but it sure was fun in my brothers SRT-4.

i didn't. there is alot you can do to a 4.0 which would be cheaper than buying then swapping in a srt-4 motor, and net more power to weight ratio

Here's some spec's to throw out there.

A '04 SRT-4 has a 3.44 in bore X 3.99 in stoke. It has 250 ft·lb of torque from 2200-4400rpm with 235hp @ 5500rpm stock.

With a few simple mods these numbers grow dramaticly. It doesn't cost much to get 275hp and 300 ft·lb of torque with the same torque curve and a 350# peak. If you haven't noticed it's bore to stroke ratio is under-square which makes it a high torque engine. With a bigger turbo 500hp is easy to hit :D

It would cost way more for me to do a SRT-4 swap. The 340 just makes more sense.

A '95 4.0 HO has a bore: 3.88 in X stroke: 3.413. It has 190 hp @ 4750rpm and 225 ft·lb @ 3950rpm of torque. It has a smaller/shorter torque curve. It's a great engine, but it is old school in comparison.

As for MPG the SRT-4 would be better then a 4.0 with the same power output.

To keep up with the 2.4 turbo the 4.0 requires extensive work and expense.

The SRT-4 motor in a 2wd MJ or a prerunner would make a great. A swb MJ street truck with a NP242 case for AWD traction would be a blast.

I just love a old school cammed up V-8. :brows:

Here are some specs 340ci 4.04" bore x 3.31" stroke 10.2:1 to 1 compression with 275HP @ 5000rpm and 340 ft·lb of torque @ 3200rpm.

It has a 1.85 to 1 rod length to stroke ratio. It is also very over-square. Both are great for high rpm power. ;)

jamminz.gif

Please Please Please do the 340 billboard.

If I can find a good deal on a rust free short box I'll paint it Plum Crazy or In-Violet with billboards and a non glare black hood. :chillin:

If not I might be able to run hockey sticks on TorRed or Rallye Red on a custom bed. :brows:

I have always liked Go Mango, Vitamin C, Sublime, Lemon Twist, Top Banana, Citron Yella and Scorch Red too. ;)

I'm seriously cosidering swapping in a built 340 I have a line on.

Dunno the weight of a 340 IRT what you have (4.0?) I considered something other than my 2.5 when it needed overhauled at 260,000. I looked at a GM 4.3 and 5.0. The weight addition of the 4.3 would probably have meant changing springs, the 5.0 definite, and to do a good long lasting job for my "street jeep" ... the bucks were way too much. I know the 4.0 is heavier than a GM 4.3 and not much lighter than a GM SB V8. But, the 340 ... will you need different front springs?

I'm seriously cosidering swapping in a built 340 I have a line on.

Dunno the weight of a 340 IRT what you have (4.0?) I considered something other than my 2.5 when it needed overhauled at 260,000. I looked at a GM 4.3 and 5.0. The weight addition of the 4.3 would probably have meant changing springs, the 5.0 definite, and to do a good long lasting job for my "street jeep" ... the bucks were way too much. I know the 4.0 is heavier than a GM 4.3 and not much lighter than a GM SB V8. But, the 340 ... will you need different front springs?

A 340 with an aluminum intake weghs 505 pounds, while a 4.0 weighs 515 pounds.

If I ran headers and aluminum heads it would weigh about 440 pounds.

Weight isn't a concern.

I'm seriously cosidering swapping in a built 340 I have a line on. It needs to be freshed up and have a new solid lifter cam installed in it. I have either a 727 or a 999 non-lockup trannys for the 340. :chillin:

I have a Mopar 4.0 reman longblock with 3k on it an aw-4 with 85k on it and all the wiring, a complete r134 ac system with a new condenser, reciever drier, and evaporator. ;) I'll just sell all this and make my MJ as light as possible.

The 4.0 was my original plan, but a 340 is my favorite engine to have. I love to be able to spin 7500rpm no problem. :brows:

No more emission tests either.

That would be cool!

I would personally go with the a518 trans( its a small block 727 with OD)-(the a500 is a 904 or 999 with OD-found on V6 trucks)--they are found in vans or P/U's with the V8--you want one out of a '91-it was the only year that they were non-lock-up--you may have to modify the floor to account for the OD unit-not sure. I'm workin on a 1959 Plymouth 2dr. sedan Hotrod--I got a built up 360 4brl. I went with the a518 cause it will bolt right up to a SBMopar and its got a 30% OD-so I can run 4.10 or 4.30 gears but in OD it will work out to like 2.94 final drive. The a518 requires no extra shift position-just a switch to turn it off and some vacuum and pressure switches to shift in/out of OD on its own. Its a tough unit just be sure to have the OD looked at first! Lots of Mopar guys are goin that way-I've seen them adapted to 440's and Hemi's as well.

oh, and TRUST ME--that 340 will make more than the advertised 275hp--my 360 will make 367hp on the dyno with the "resto" Purple Cam, .030 over flat tops and a Carter TQ 4 barrel--your motor will make 325 easy! Although, I don't know that I'd be spinning it up to 7500 with stock rotating assembly or without some serious bottom end work-just a thought from an old school Mopar Man!