Bed Chop

I've been itching to do this for awhile, still a little undecided but am just about ready to do this.

I am going on a trip to rausch creek in july and there will be a photographer from Low Range Magazine taking pictures and doing an article with my local club. Theres a chance the comanche could make an appearance. This would make it a little more unique.

The thing about it is there isn't a whole lot of benefit because I've only gotten caught on the bumper once in the gauntlet at rausch but was able to back out of it anyways. Usually it scrapes a little and I keep going. So again, still undecided.

Here's what it would look like.

:brows:

Comanches are unique no matter where they go. I say build a high clearance bumper and leave the sheetmetal be. 8)

Have seriously considered just moving the bumper in so it will be a "roll pan" to gain some more clearance, I'm not getting rid of my bumper completely and starting over becuase it's already good looking and is the tank to my oba.

I built my brackets so that the bumper came straight off of the frame rather than dropping down. May particular design made me lose use of my tailgate, but I was planning on ditching it anyway.

If you look closely though, you can see that I caught a log right in front of the bumper. I regret not building the wrap-around protection right away. :( You'd think I'd have learned my lesson after smashing my rockers before building the rocker protection. :roll:

Hey are you talking about a short bed? I have a long bed bobed 14 1/2" and it definitly helps w/departure angles. Hardly drags. It does look similar to the pic. I agree that if its short bed and your not dragging the bumper then why do the work. Its alot of work. Maybe just use ofset spring perches and move tha axle back an inch, that should help the deapartue angle.

Bob it, cut the rear box side off from the bodyline down, and roll some steel around to fill the light openings. Add some LED lights and a beefy rear bumper that tapers up on the corners and has some 2"x2" tube wrap around under the cut box sides. Add a couple of D-ring mounts and a 2" receiver to finish it off..