Doesnt want to start, after a few tries it will

Ok, so this morning i was late for finals, ran outside, got in the truck, put the key in, no start. fuel pumped was good, could hear it. Made no attempt to start. Tried a few more times, didnt work, popped the hood, cursed a lot, got back in, and it started.

I am assuming the connection on the starter needs to be cleaned or something? Leaving school it did it again, tried starting twice, nothing, third time started right up. Anyone else have advice?

Terminology. I don't know where all the confusion came from but over the years the use of the phrases have changed. "The engine doesn't turn over" has become to mean the starter cranks the engine but doesn't start. I'm simple minded I still think it means the starter fails to turn the flywheel for what ever reasons.

Please clarify does the starter work everytime? If it doesn't , check your battery connection, cables, relay, and terminals on the starter. Do you hear the relay click? Usually poor high current connection, battery to starter or low battery.

If the starter does work everytime (different than starter spins but no flywheel movement which is a starter issue) than it's probably an ignition issue. Having a tach is great indicator if the CPs is working. If the needle doesn't move while the flywheel is spinning, CPS problem.

There are some starting questions.

Mine sat for a week, fired up (running) as usual, backed up and it stalled. After it wouldn't start again, I used something else. Still wouldn't start in the evening but had spark from coil to the plugs (No tach in this one), smelled gas but the plugs weren't wet. So I'm thinking either clogged catalytic converter or clogged intake. Cracked the air filter housing and it fired right up. Or was it having the plugs out for a while. I think it was old fashion flooding but after sitting all day?

Terminology. I don't know where all the confusion came from but over the years the use of the phrases have changed. "The engine doesn't turn over" has become to mean the starter cranks the engine but doesn't start. I'm simple minded I still think it means the starter fails to turn the flywheel for what ever reasons.

The terminology hasn't changed, it's just that people don't use the correct terminology.

"Turn over" still means turn over -- the starter makes the engine go 'round.

"Fire" still means make spark and try to ignite fuel/air mix.

I agree, it would help tremendously if people would keep those terms straight when asking for help with a no-start problem. "It doesn't start" could be caused by innumerably things. Just knowing if the problem is that the starter won't crank ("turn over") the engine narrows it down a LOT.

Tried a few more times, didnt work, popped the hood, cursed a lot, got back in, and it started.

I personally think the cursing fixed it. Try that again next time. If not, a swift kick to the tire works wonders too :D

Clean the terminals and take it to Autozone and have em check the battery.

Check the condition of the battery cables. You can not see a lot of the cable without doing a little digging as I found out on mine. I though they were OK just judging by what I could see without moving things and actually looking at the complete cables. When I did look...it scared me badly as the positive & negative cables were literally melted together and could have caused a fire at any moment.

If the cables are OK, then you need to push on to possibly a starter.

My old cables...

The new ones...

if the cables look good try doing a voltage drop test to see if under the coateing the wires have fallen apart. also this may tell you if your starter has problems. if there is a lot of voltage drop .5v or more then drop the starter and bench test it. if its good change your cables

if the cables look good try doing a voltage drop test to see if under the coateing the wires have fallen apart. also this may tell you if your starter has problems. if there is a lot of voltage drop .5v or more then drop the starter and bench test it. if its good change your cables
Exactly...that corrosion can (and will) run down inside the cables and cause a lot of trouble. You can clean what you see, but it's amazing what can hide.