Battery Terminals Corroding Fast

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what would cause my battery cables to corrode faster than normal. About every two weeks they get to the point where they stop making contact all together. For some reason the previous owner used a huge cable for the ground. It looks like 220 wire or something. Probably just what they had laying around. Could that cause it?

Chris

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what would cause my battery cables to corrode faster than normal. About every two weeks they get to the point where they stop making contact all together. For some reason the previous owner used a huge cable for the ground. It looks like 220 wire or something. Probably just what they had laying around. Could that cause it?

Chris

The big ground wire could not cause the problem. Weak grounds are a problem with the XJ and MJ. One of the guys on NAXJA is a strong and vocal proponant of adding a welding cable to the system as a ground. Sounds like that's what was done to your vehicle.

Extremely rapic corrosion at the terminals, IIRC, may be caused by excessive off-gassing of the battery. First, check the level of the electrolyte in the battery. Be sure it's properly filled. (If it needs water, use distilled water. It costs 69 cents a gallon at Wal-Mart.)

Then check your alternator output. If the alternator is over-charging, you'll get more off-gassing and faster corrosion.

You could also get some of those impregnated felt pads that fit under the cables, around the posts. They help -- some. I also use anti-sieze on the cable connections, as well as on the cable bolts. It seems to help. And be sure you tighten the cable bolts. If the cables aren't tight to the posts, there's more room for corrosion to take place.

Is it something I could get at AutoZone? Or just get wire and make my own?
You may be able to get them at an auto parts store, but I got mine at the dealership.

Comes as an assembly like this...

Anymore when I buy a used car I just buy new 2 new replacement cables for them. Better to do it in yoru driveway than in the middle of nowhere when you really are not prepared to do it.

I know I am going to have to do them eventually or they are goping to leave me stranded so I just cut to the chase and do it when I first get the car. I am using an Optima red top and don't get any of that crud on my cables.

I just replaced my cables also, I used 4 gauge car audio wire. I have to make one more to go from the alternator to the distribution point near the battery.

here what mine looked like:

Little dark sorry.

Jonathan

hey taz how much did it cost to replace the cables from the dealer?
I can get it for you for $75 + $7 shipping ;)

Retails for about $115 at my dealership. Others may vary, but should be close.

PM me if you wish for me to help you with it :cheers: .

I just replaced my cables also, I used 4 gauge car audio wire. I have to make one more to go from the alternator to the distribution point near the battery.

here what mine looked like:

Jonathan

Nice work. That should last a while 8) .