School me on spider gears

I aquired a set of axles for my MJ (D30/D35) they are out of a late 80's MJ. The PO said he welded the spider gears front and rear. Mind you that I am working on a daily driver that quite possible will never see the trail. What do I need to "unweld" the diffs. Is it as simple as grinding off welds and installing new spiders? If so are there changes year to year in the spiders? Or maybe changes with the carrier split? I don't really want to regear or install all new carriers if I don't have to.

I beleive you will need new carriers. You can't just grind on a carrier. it is balanced and when you grind on it that will change that. Also, if you have any flaw in the carrier left from the grinding that will only give it a place to crack and break.

If they only welded the spiders...you could get away with just replacing the spiders. Properly welded spiders do not harm the carrier at all...it's only a matter of a couple properly placed beads on the spider gears themselves.

If they only welded the spiders...you could get away with just replacing the spiders. Properly welded spiders do not harm the carrier at all...it's only a matter of a couple properly placed beads on the spider gears themselves.

Are there difference in the years of spiders?

Agreed.

to answer this riddle though, we need you to open the diff covers and take a few pictures of the center of the carrier...you will know when you see the welds that that is what we need pictures of.

reason we need pictures is so we can look and tell if the gent' welded them to the carrier, or just to themselves.

Are there difference in the years of spiders?

no. the carriers are the same between years, but there is a break for gearing (I don't recall what it is) and the spiders did change at the break (I believe). another thing is that if you have a plain open carrier, you need spiders for that. if the carrier was limited slip (not even remotely likely/possible with welded spiders), then you will need spiders for that, IIRC.

I've probably got a set or two for each axle.

Removing welded spider gears is a PITA. New carriers are around 40 bucks plus spiders and thrust washers. ONly catch is if you change carriers you will need to have the gears set back up again. So this leaves you at step one.. removing the welded spiders. to me there is only one option smoke wrench them out, since they are no good to you any more.

If the spiders are welded together...then yes, it will be a real PITA to change them. If they are welded in the fashion that I am familiar with they will not be hard to change at all. The we have done it is to weld on a couple beads in the tooth valleys on each side of the contact point on one gear on each side so the gears can not turn, but still have a very snall amount of play in them and are easily changeable in the future if needed ;) .

Picutres would definitely be helpful here. If the carriers need to be changed...you are looking at quite a bit of additional expense as that is NOT a do-it-yourself job and the folks that know how to do it charge a fair amount for it unless you know someone to help you out.

If the spiders are welded together...then yes, it will be a real PITA to change them. If they are welded in the fashion that I am familiar with they will not be hard to change at all. The we have done it is to weld on a couple beads in the tooth valleys on each side of the contact point on one gear on each side so the gears can not turn, but still have a very snall amount of play in them and are easily changeable in the future if needed ;) .

Picutres would definitely be helpful here. If the carriers need to be changed...you are looking at quite a bit of additional expense as that is NOT a do-it-yourself job and the folks that know how to do it charge a fair amount for it unless you know someone to help you out.

I will try to get out to the garage and get pics tonight. I haven't opened them up yet to see what he did. I have a friend that can set up gears he has done thousands of sets literally. I just don't want to have to go through the expense if I don't have to.