Fuel sending units

I finally got someone at the PartsAmerica group to believe that XJ and MJ sending units are different and not interchangeable. However, before they change their computer systems they want to see evidence. Does anyone have pictures of the two that clearly show the one is mirror image of the other one?

Mvusse -

I'll take some side by side shot of the sender units, I have both in the shop, and seeing how it's Parts America (Advance Auto Parts) They will believe it ;)

I'll post them up tomorrow for ya :brows:

Or you want me to PM them to you so you can print out some 8 x 10 glossies :D

And Yes Chico, that is a MJ sender unit you have pictured ;)

PartsAmerica is more than just Advance Auto Parts. It is also Checker, Kragen, Schucks and Murray's.

Anyway, just post the pics here, as I'm emailing them. That way we can also refer to this thread next time someone thinks they found the elusive MJ sending unit.

I'm hoping they are sincere in their promise.

For EFI engines, from the 1987-90 Parts Catalog

Model.....Engine.......Tank............Sender PN

MJ..........2.5L..........16 (1988).....83504483

MJ..........4.0L..........16 (1988).....83504486

MJ..........2.5L..........18&23.5.......83504481

MJ..........4.0L..........18&23.5.......83504485

XJ..........2.5L..........13.5.............83504480

XJ..........4.0L..........13.5.............83504488

XJ..........2.5L..........20.2.............83504484

XJ..........4.0L..........20.2.............83504487

When I ran these through http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/ some came up as unknown but the ones that did come up specified either MJ or XJ. I don't know if this will help, but it's added information.

Mvusse -

Got some pictures for you ;)

Go Here for all the pictures, and you can pick and choose which ones you want to use :brows:

But here's a sample -

Besides the sender being 180* different, the supply tubes are longer for the MJ, and also the exterior supply tubes are different.

So prove this to Parts-America, and see what they say :roll:

OK just a thought: :roll: if they are calling the sending unit the actual sender and not all the brackets and tubes they are the same for the same motor year combo XJ to MJ. The brackets have different length tubes. Also a sender from a 91 MPI 2.5 will fit a bracket froma 87 TBI even though the true sender is different lengths and sizes, you just flip the bottom bracket piece i believe. I wouldnt be suprised if that is what they are talking about instead of the bracketry. Just a guess i could be way off.

Cole