Got to wheel today!!

My local club had a trail run today. It was to a local trail, fairly easy one, perfect for my MJ!! It did REALLY well for being open at both ends. I walked right up a number of places, where YJ's and TJ's slipped and slid. There was one guy there in a LandRover Discovery. Its got some funky center diff, he was about stuck on everything!! I was able to get him thru a couple harder spots with judicious use of the brakes!!!

I aired way down. I went to 8lbs and I only have 31's That. combined with the LWB and MAN this thing can climb!!! :bowdown: jamminz.gif ;)

Here is some pics.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

CW

I am VERY pleased with the flex from them!!!

But I DEFFINATELY need to look at my bump stops!! the front is at least a inch too short and the rear is NOT THERE!!! Any one know where I can get a set of 4" extended MJ rear bump stops and a couple hocky pucks for the front???

I won't wheel again untill I get the bump stops, I don't need to rearch my new springs!!! :)

For the rear you are going to have to modify another type of bumpstop. what I did when I had a bed was weld a piece of 2x2 to the frame and then bolted the bumpstop to it.... Up front... I use my inner fender wells jamminz.gif

As for your tire pressure :eek: That was ridiculously low in my opinion. I only go down to 12psi and my rig is way lighter then yours. You are kinda lucky you didnt loose a bead at that pressure

In my TJ with 33"s I generally use 9 and 10 pounds. that is heavier than the MJ and works well for my kind of wheeling and terrain. You can see my one rear tire in the pic, its not badly pinching the sidewall and is really grabbing the rock. While the front @ 10# is micely bulging the sidewall and thats got 2# more air and it is heavier.

Image Not Found

I went to 14 first, that did not even bulge te side walls! 12 was not much better, 10 got a good bulge going up front but not in the rear, so I went down a bit more, back there. But I think you may be right at 8#, that is a bit low, 9-10 should work just about as well and afford a bit more bead retention power.

I hit a number of rocks and logs a bit faster than I would have liked, but no problems. I do not worry too much about blowing a bead as I have a 20# CO2 tank, that makes short work of any bead problems.

Image Not Found

CW

Hey if it works for you.. then great :brows: I was just pointing it out, that it seemed a bit low :D My problem as of late has been cutiing sidewalls :cry: So I am installing tubes on all my tires, that way I know I can get down on the pressure :banana:

• 1 month later...
i hear ya pong, i cut a pirelli scorpion A/T the other day, 1 1/2" LONG!!! sucks. especially since its a 100 dollar tire. :eek:

Is a $100 tire expensive of something?

New, my tires would have cost $1260 for 5.

Oh, nice wheeling pics. :cheers:

The question is what kinda tires did you buy?

When I bought my 35's I only paid 200 for 5 of them :eek: and replacing one is not something I want to do.. So I will be moving up in size soon.. I hope to some 37's or 38's.

Patrick

I love used tires. :D I can afford tires that I could only dream of aquiring if I had to buy new. And then there's the junkyard. I just picked up a pair of 31s in great condition on steel rims for $15 each (seems a shame they will only be used when I flat-tow the MJ).

Finding a deal on what you want takes patience and a bit of good luck. You're close enough to us, try paying attention to the classifieds at greatlakes4x4.com It used to be a Michigan Jeep site, but has since expanded to other states and brands of 4x4.

peteif your also looking for something canada side check jeepkings.ca most of the ppl selling stuff are about 4 hours from you coming through windsor. there are a ton of tires and stuff flying through there, usually for around 300 for a set of 4. i believe there is a set of 33's rite now for about 400. i didn't see u regidstered for that one so I don't knwo if you knew about it or not. No good for tech and getting help, great for buying stuff most of the time