I like lockwire. It's used EVERYWHERE on aircraft. A fastener can't possible back out if it's done correctly, even if it is installed wrong or under heavy vibration.

Example:

lockwire.gif

Anyways, my friend was looking at my dodge, and commented on how my timing cover (it's a cummins) was missing some bolts - but that it was entirely normal since they always back out. That made me kinda frusterated.

So I think I'm going to steal some drilled head bolts from work and lockwire the stupid things.

In fact I think I'm going to start doing it on a lot of things.

(I know, this post has no point, I'm bored)

I like lockwire. It's used EVERYWHERE on aircraft. A fastener can't possible back out if it's done correctly, even if it is installed wrong or under heavy vibration.

Anyways, my friend was looking at my dodge, and commented on how my timing cover (it's a cummins) was missing some bolts - but that it was entirely normal since they always back out. That made me kinda frusterated.

So I think I'm going to steal some drilled head bolts from work and lockwire the stupid things.

In fact I think I'm going to start doing it on a lot of things. (I know, this post has no point, I'm bored)

I love lockwire. Back in the early days in the Navy I used to build surface-to-air missiles at a Naval Weapons Station, and lock wire was used on every bolt head. You're right Dirty, the key of it's effectiveness is how it's installed - always matching the rotation of install threads. Looks cool too.....

I don't actually have twisters, just duckbills and side cutters. I've wanted to buy twisters but haven't got around to it (strap-on wants about $200 for the reversibles). It makes it a little harder to do long distances, but it still works fine.

I've been poked so many d@nm times with that wire is isnt funny... One thing that I hated about it was other then being upside down in a tank trying to thread it through a bolt head was I'd always,,never failed,, after making a run of tree or more I'd over twist and the wire would break.... Lot of cussing went into those d@mn 1/2 time locking pliers you had to use too.. :mad:

After I had a little time in,, I made the lower enlisted do that crap..... Gotta love fresh meat..

But yeah they are a smart way to keep the bolts from working out.. won't keep them 100% tight, but you won't lose any either..

I've been poked so many d@nm times with that wire is isnt funny... One thing that I hated about it was other then being upside down in a tank trying to thread it through a bolt head was I'd always,,never failed,, after making a run of tree or more I'd over twist and the wire would break.... Lot of cussing went into those d@mn 1/2 time locking pliers you had to use too.. :mad:

After I had a little time in,, I made the lower enlisted do that crap..... Gotta love fresh meat..

But yeah they are a smart way to keep the bolts from working out.. won't keep them 100% tight, but you won't lose any either..

Yeah, after you break about 100 of them you learn just when to stop pulling the twist pliers and become a human tension gauge. :cheers:

Guest vzehler

This is news to me too. Looks like it would be an art really. Ill stick with loctite. I just didn't come equipped with enough patience. ;)

I like the idea of using the safety wire, but I hated actually doing it, especially with the twenty thousandths because it was so easy to break and the fifty thousandths because it was so thick. a good set of swipes definitely makes life easier when dealing with that stuff, screw doing it by hand. I definitely agree with jtdesignes, I was happier when I was inspecting the new guys work instead of doing it.

I'm suprised how many of you have actually done it, I guess that's what happens when you live in a country with such a large military?

Getting poked sucked, but as long as everyone bends over the tails and you work carefulley you won't be too often. Same thing happens with cotter pins if guys don't bend them over well, and trim the ends to the right length - if they're done the helicopter style (which isn't approved on aircraft, ohwell) you rarely get hurt even when you have your whole arm in some dark hole.

And for a simple explaination of what it is... The bolt heads, fitting, screws, etc, all have holes drilled through then in places such that a peice of thin stainless (or monel or brass) wire can be slid through them. A peice of wire is started in one bolt head, pulled tight, and twisted to the next bolt head. The trick is the wire enters/exits the head in a manner that if one of the bolts is to turn to loosen it will pull the wire tighter which will pull the other bolt to be tighter. That way nothing can move very far.

Removal is easy, just cut the wire and pull it out with duckbills/pliers. The biggest problem is that you either have to buy drilled head bolts, or drill your own. Drilling your own wouldn't ever appeal to me, I don't have that type of time. AN, NAS, MS, etc hardware (the real stuff) is all avaliable with drilled heads and threads. However, it is expensive.

Anyways, I like it. Which is good since I deal with it every day.

the safety wire goes through one bolt and it pulled around the head to make it tighten (kind think out if as a wrench) then the 2nd bolt is aslo the same tightening effect, the bolts can't loosen up because pulling the wire from either bolt loosening will effectively keep it in the hole, it can possibly get a little loose, but it will not come out.