Fuel Tank Prices

Motion Offroad

We received a call today for a supplier for MJ Comanche fuel tanks (both SWB and LWB). They are steel and brand new.

We're told that the LWB one is 23.5 gallons and will replace the factory 16 gallon one with all the factory hardware.

We're told that the SWB one is 18 gallons (factory specs).

We've never purchased an MJ tank before as in the past we've had a difficult time locating them to purchase.

So our question is this? What are the going rate for both the SWB and LWB fuel tanks. We simply want to see if it's worth our time to call this supplier back based on the prices he quoted us at wholesale.

Thanks! :cheers:

If I remember correctly, when I replaced the tank in my '87 SWB two (three?) summers ago it cost me $150. I think that's close to wholesale -- my friend who used to be a Jeep service manager got it through the radiator shop he sends all his work to, so he gets wholesale or close to it.

Hmmm ...

Either my memory is bad, or I over-payed:

http://www2.partstrain.com/store/?Ntt=F ... 7003+10857

Motion, If they make tanks can they also make the sending units for the tanks? That would be great since they are no longer available. I'm sure you could sell alot of sending units if the company has the means to fab them also.

Advance Auto have the tanks, both 18 gal, and 23 gal listed for around $130 a year ago, and now are $200. I bought a brand new 18 gal tank 6 years ago, and I think it was around $120 w/tax.

The real problem comes with the shipping.......not with the weight, what about 15 pounds....the size of the carton, I just price out the shipping couple months ago, and at first, the shipping was $92, but I re-adjusted the size, and the shipping was going to be $28 for a 200 mile ground trip.

So.....if you sell brand new tanks.....for say $XXX and add shipping of say....$28+.....where would that put the total price at????

Ebay has the 23.5 gallon for $50 from radiator express. Only bug is that they charge $70 shipping in the continental US. So....$150

I got a friend to get me a wholesale price from a supplier here in PA. Wholesale price $174

NAPA sells em for almost $300 :eek: That's what they told me a couple of months ago.

I just had a used 16 or 18 gallon shipped here from VA or NC I think. The shipping was $14 bucks

So if you can ship em from under $20, you could sell em for maybe $100 as a "good" price. I don't know if you're gonna make any money though.

Ebay has the 23.5 gallon for $50 from radiator express. Only bug is that they charge $70 shipping in the continental US. So....$150

I just bought mine from them, cost me $120 shipped to my door. Nice looking steel tank, even has the 'tray' on the inside that the fuel pump goes into, so when your low on gas it doesn't starve the pump. :D

I just bought mine from them, cost me $120 shipped to my door. Nice looking steel tank, even has the 'tray' on the inside that the fuel pump goes into, so when your low on gas it doesn't starve the pump. :D

Yep, I'm an idiot $50+$70=$120

I just can't add :D

If I remember correctly, when I replaced the tank in my '87 SWB two (three?) summers ago it cost me $150. I think that's close to wholesale -- my friend who used to be a Jeep service manager got it through the radiator shop he sends all his work to, so he gets wholesale or close to it.

Hmmm ...

Either my memory is bad, or I over-payed:

http://www2.partstrain.com/store/?Ntt=F ... 7003+10857

I was quoted around $150 to $175 for my SWB. But I was luckey enough to pick one up from a local guy for $50 and it was brand new too. :D