2wd t0 4wd tranny swap

• 1 month later...

Dude???? Wth?? I'm guessing your not done with this huh?? I mean I know its pretty straight forward but.... I'm wondering about the hind sights 20/20 thing... You know........ if I did it again I'd this, that, and the other.... Need more info there Maynard..

It;s done and over with need I lay it out better and add the gear install?

Trying for the stright and simple slide show. What need I do, go step by step? :D Maybe to be more helpful. :nuts:

blah,, I was just getting you rawled up!!! jamminz.gif

So, if you 2 are finished fingering each other, I'm curious if JT clicked on the links. Is it the slideshow format he's not thrilled with?

ummmm link??? What link???

lol... yeah I was just messin with Rog... My bad Mr Montie.. :popcorn:

I just saved that for repost trust me

Where you get all those ones? From your Honda Prelube sites?

I searched google just for you buddy!!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 12 years later...
On 2/23/2021 at 9:56 PM, rylee144 said:

Take lots of pics so I can learn! Especially where your mounting the 4x4 shift linkage. 

stock location. should have indents in floor as stamped the same. i currently switched to a novak cable shifter that has been a pita as the need for adjustment to engage 4lo fully without popping back out. so with trans out now i will fine tune it otherwise cut hole in floor and reach down and shift by hand. :shaking:

well got the auto trans out. flywheel removed. decided to just go all new as I'm planning for the All Breeds jeep show end of july and want this ready for then. so going to focus on some of the small details and pay a bit extra as i have the time to let it sit while i work for the money needed to replace the parts and buy missing parts. so furthermore with some good suggestions, i went with rockauto for a full clutch kit with flywheel and slave. i have good clutch that good just be cleaned up, however i don't have the time to bring flywheel to shop to be machined for a clean surface and so for $300 shipped i can't wrong with ordering the parts in. with that on its way i can focus on swapping out the pedal assembly acquired from Dead Jeep Parts. I still swear i have a pedal setup from when i swapped in the aw4  the first time. :thinking: also ordered a couple seals for the trans to ensure its not a issue later. with trans out now i can verify that my rms is indeed leaking, and since i carry one in spares box, i will drop oil pan and replace it and check the crank bearing journals as well, and ensure 4.0 is still healthy. 

and at this point with trans out i would be motivated to replace my floor pans but i do not have the welder set up at current location so will have to wait on them yet. so focus will be on fresh fluids and seals on the underside and including axles as I'm under the jeep anyways. the 14 bolt rear end has a issue with wheel seals and so I'm thinking a couple speedy sleeves are in order and should fix that issue and stop slimming up my brakes. 

also will be replacing trans mount as was torn and with ax15 shorter then the aw4 i will need to ensure of fitment on my Crossmember as it is welded in and is a pain with removal of trans. had to take auto bell-housing off to get it out. I hope to not have that issue with install of ax15. if not then i may just have to pull engine as was planning too, but blah. perhaps later as may go with solid motor mounts as those have flexed out a bit and are worn but still good for now. 

had some oblong holes on flywheel and this i expected as i knew the torque converter was toast. beat on and abused bit she still ran true. i love my jeep. :driving: 

20210223_201342.jpg

20210224_001822.jpg

20210224_194932.jpg

20210224_194958.jpg

20210224_195027.jpg

20210224_195027.jpg

20210224_195038.jpg

20210224_195052.jpg

20210125_224855.jpg

yeah and got clutch kit today and how am i to get a master and slave and have no line to connect them?? 

so now need to figure a connection line to go with rockauto clutch kit where everything is there except for the line. :dunno:

got my new trans mount as well and a replacement output shaft seal, which appears to be for 2wd ax15. so ill just go get one at local shop i reckon. 

On 3/2/2021 at 3:07 PM, MiNi Beast said:

yeah and got clutch kit today and how am i to get a master and slave and have no line to connect them?? 

so now need to figure a connection line to go with rockauto clutch kit where everything is there except for the line. :dunno:

got my new trans mount as well and a replacement output shaft seal, which appears to be for 2wd ax15. so ill just go get one at local shop i reckon. 

The line that was in your truck from the master cylinder won't plug into the new slave?

22 minutes ago, rylee144 said:

The line that was in your truck from the master cylinder won't plug into the new slave?

i have swapped in the auto from a 94 xj so converting back to manual and hence have to replace all the parts that i no longer have. i atticatpated the clutch kit to be complete and thus give me all the parts needed to put t

ax15 back in. however i didnt think when reading parts list of the line not already attached to slave like with the pre filled setup you can aquire for $100. i presumed this not as i forget which is why i went back to this thread for reference as to what i did the first time. however slide shows and pic site no longer working so why I'm reposting as i go along this time so to have a reference of it for next time. :shaking:

• 2 weeks later...

ok so acquired clutch line for $90 so now can connect slave and master and perhaps make the clutch work. . rear main seal handled with ease as if i have had to replace it before once or 4 times. :holdwrench: Had to source bolts for pressure plate to flywheel and flywheel to drive crank. auto bolts are about 1/2" long and manual with 1/2" thick flywheel needed 1" long bolts. handled. now flywheel be mounted with locktite on bolts and spacer plate/inspection cover behind flywheel. I'm reusing one from the auto(2 pc design) in hopes it will be ok. pilot bearing went in with a little bfh and 19mm socket and a couple hrs in freezer. pedal assembly swapped out and working to hook up master on firewall. was planning on having to swap whole assembly but found just need to pull bolt and just slide in needed pedals and use the longer bolt. worked out better then i thought.  :grinyes:

taking a bit longer with install as I'm trying to keep track and update as i go and do some vids, blah blah, so i will again have a reference to go back to in another 10 years when i swap something else in. :nuts:

20210317_124749.jpg

20210317_140807.jpg

20210317_013300.jpg

20210317_001123.jpg

20210316_173947.jpg

16160059898699050584092166183886.jpg