$500 Manche... Worth Looking at? *** My new $400 MJ ***

SuperWade2

DAMN CRAIGSLIST... I HATE YOU...

This would nearly be a twin to my White MJ... I'm guessing the engine has a million miles or something... $1500 for a running XJ, newer, with HO Engine and rear D44 or $500 for a non-running MJ...

**EDIT *** MEH, It's sale pending some other dude, so I probably didn't want an XJ anyhow...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/682306103.html

010112011511010301200805200f47141ded71792c1e00ea64.jpg

Just called the guy and he still hasn't sold it, so I'm going to go look at this MJ tomorrow... I think I can offer the guy less than $500 for a non-op MJ... He's had it for sale for a while now with no other leads or people even calling about it, so I think if he wants it gone he may go $300-$400, but if it looks like there aren't enough parts for me to use/resell to you guys and the body isn't that special then I might just skip it... It's only gonna cost me $30 in Gas to get up there and back (maybe a little more towing the Flatbed trailer with an MJ on it on the way home).

I'm still not sure about an engine swap...I guess I will see how this engine runs and sounds compared to mine (which is pretty bad)...

Will update tomorrow, with pics if I get it...

Wade

*** EDIT *** I was Google Mapping the directions and with the Google Street View, you can actually see the MJ in the dudes Driveway... No Idea how old that pic is, but probably not more than a few months or so...

http://tinyurl.com/5qnxdl

Gotta Love GOOGLE!

*** EDIT *** I was Google Mapping the directions and with the Google Street View, you can actually see the MJ in the dudes Driveway... No Idea how old that pic is, but probably not more than a few months or so...

http://tinyurl.com/5qnxdl

Gotta Love GOOGLE!

Sweet, I have friends that live 1.1 miles away from this MJ!!! :banana:

I used to live in Livermore.

Good luck

I guess I should change the title to my new $400 Manche...

Body actually looks pretty solid...a couple small spots, and it's been rattlecanned (I think they went right over the Stickers, but it was originally black)... the Tranny actually rolls and we were able to drive it up the ramps of the trailer and I plan on being able to take it into the Garage (the trans growls pretty good and no REV at all). The Black interior is OK, not perfect... the Bench Surface is GOOD, but a couple tears on the drivers side. the Engine sounds and looks pretty good... the Alternator/Starter are basically brand new, newer exhaust,etc. The Bed is pretty nice except for a couple screw holes where it had a Tool Box. 2WD of course, D35 in the Back... Headliner shot (he gave me the panel and material)...

Will get more Pics after I get it in the garage and cleaned up and decide what I'm going to do with it. I'm still leaning Engine Swap, Part out and then Scrap the rest...

img1113ej6.jpg

Congrats!! I knew it was a done deal as soon as you said you were going to look at it! :cheers:

Let me know if/when you part it out. I could use both front quarter panels and I can come pick them up on my way down to my favorite burrito shop in Santa Cruz!!

I don't know that he wanted to go down to $400 too bad, but I figured I went to the trouble of borrowing a trailer and driving up over the hill to take a look, I should at least come home with something...I think he would have flat out said no had I offered $300...

The Alternator, Starter, and Radiator are all barely 6 months new (with receipts) and he gave me another basically new Radiator (1 year old, upgraded his XJ Radiator and it was just collecting dust in his garage and he was selling his house).

After pulling it into the garage, the Springs on the Seat are a little bum-pokey, so it's not quite as nice as it looks on the surface. The Black Carpet is worn in a few spots, but it has decent black carpet mats. Black mini-console looks good, if I toss on a new shift boot (that I have).

Which Burrito shop is that? In SC, I like Planet Fresh downtown and Taco's Moreno's over on Water St. There is a Taqueria here in Scotts Valley that's pretty good too!

Which Burrito shop is that? In SC, I like Planet Fresh downtown and Taco's Moreno's over on Water St. There is a Taqueria here in Scotts Valley that's pretty good too!

Tacos Moreno is the one. I started going to it back in 1987 (that's not a typo) when I was at UCSC, that summer I must have eaten there 6 days a week!! Love those corn quesadillas and the Al pastor burritos, mmmm :drool: . Almost went there last Saturday since I was in Cupertino but once I hopped onto 17, traffic was stopped so I turned around. Oh how I miss it.

Now that's an excellent find :thumbsup:

I know you need the engine.......But that thing is too good of shape to chop up :cry: 2wd transmissions are cheep, I've sold them for $65 just to get them out of here.

I know you don't have a the space or shop, but just sit on it for a while, and you might just find a totaled XJ for a donor, that will give you the engine you need, and the transmission for your new find :brows:

Could even give you the conversion for a 4wd :D

Save another MJ :bowdown:

Much better shape that the one I drag home 2 weeks ago for $400 :yes:

Now that's an excellent find :thumbsup:

I know you need the engine.......But that thing is too good of shape to chop up :cry: 2wd transmissions are cheep, I've sold them for $65 just to get them out of here.

I know you don't have a the space or shop, but just sit on it for a while, and you might just find a totaled XJ for a donor, that will give you the engine you need, and the transmission for your new find :brows:

Could even give you the conversion for a 4wd :D

Save another MJ :bowdown:

Much better shape that the one I drag home 2 weeks ago for $400 :yes:

Yah, maybe... we'll have to see how long I can sit on it before the wife gets P.O'ed about it taking up a garage spot (her's by the way)...

I did email one of my 4x4Club guys that is known to have a good chunk of XJ parts/pieces/and dead soldiers on his property to see what he might have or be willing to part with.

There are a couple small rough spots on this one, and I REALLY wished they hadn't rattlecanned the thing (they did a half-@ssed job), so that alone will make it a little more challenging to restore, since I don't have a clue how to do ANY body work or painting (unless I wanted to do another half-@ssed job over the top of the one that's there now.)

Oh the difference a day makes...

Got a reply from the guy in my Club with his own personal XJ Junkyard on his property...I asked what kind of "extra" stuff he had, and mentioned that I might consider keeping this MJ whole if I could get the parts to convert to 4x4 with a new tranny/tcase/front axles, etc... this was his reply...

"It sounds to me like you need to come up and look at what I've got. I think I can cover a good portion of what you need. I have more parts that I know what to do with."

yeahthat.gif Now there a plan worth looking into. I seen you post over on the tech side too ;)

I know not every one has a shop, and the space to store things, but all I was saying was you have a good MJ there, if the frame was rodded (like the one I just dragged back) or half totaled, then yea, strip it down. But from what I see on the prices out your way, plus with what newer parts are in it......that's just my 2 cents on the subject :D

As far as body work, paint touch up / fix up, Here's A link to a very good web board.

I would flip over getting something like you found up here in the super rust belt, that's why I've dragged a couple of MJ's out of PA just to get decent body's to work with. I have the shop, the space, and enough parts to make 2, 4wd MJ's sitting on / under the shelfs in the shop ;) Plus the low mileage engines you need, and the interior parts to detail them up.....just no time off the day job :cry:

But that might be changing :brows:

if you aren't gonna keep it, and need a motor, i'll bring you a resealed 4.0 and trade it for the truck. save you work, save a manche from being parted out.

it's a good find, and truth be told, not a hard fix. at all. :cheers: