FNG with a new manche

Backdraft

Hello everyone here on ComancheClub. I joined up here a couple weeks ago whilst on my quest for another MJ. I got my first one at 16 and killed it 6 weeks after getting my license and have been wanting one every since. After a month or so I found an 89 for sale and I dragged it home yesterday. Its a SWB with the 4.0L, AX15, and apparantly i lucked out and someone swapped in a D44. The PO doesnt know much about these trucks and said the tranny has granny gears in it. I havent checked it yet but I'm hoping the rear has 4.11s in it. He did however give a fresh new coat of glasso paint, i don't think he was very educated about under the hood. He said one day it just wouldnt crank, so he started ripping the wire harness out and replacing them. Needless to say, I'll be swapping the original harness back into it as soon as i check it completely for shorts. After that I'm sure its nothing a few sensors (CPS) can't fix. Anyway here's a couple crappy cell phone pics of it when dragged it home yesterday. Sorry, i suck at the photobusket and don't know how to resize.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

towed it with a 2005 chevy trailblazer with a v6 and didnt have a single problem, it towed like a champ. tossed it in neutral, strapped the front tires down, and was cruising at 65mph for 100 miles without an issue.

towed it with a 2005 chevy trailblazer with a v6 and didnt have a single problem, it towed like a champ. tossed it in neutral, strapped the front tires down, and was cruising at 65mph for 100 miles without an issue.

yeahthat.gif

towed mine about the same distance just like that, but we used a 4.0 GC. and didn't break 55mph

Is your new truck 2wd or 4wd?

The roll bar hints at 4wd, but then again, a local guy has a 2wd Ford Ranger lifted 6" with 33s. :nuts:

its a 2wd 4.0L AX15 with a D44. i have an 87 waggy 4wd that was a project, but the owner never found the title, so I'm probably going to end up swapping the proper components for a conversion. the XJ in the pic was born a 2wd as well, after the AW4 went out, it was a good opportunity to do a swap rather than just rebuild it. it currently sports a 4.0L, AW4, 231, d30 and d35(i know) with 4.56s and 33s sitting on a RE 4.5 lift. not sure how high i want the manche, but I'm leaning toward 4.5 inches with another RE superflex in the front and a SOA in the rear. 4.11s and either 32s or 33s

Mike

Nice find on the MJ. Saved another one. jamminz.gif

The roll bar hints at 4wd, but then again, a local guy has a 2wd Ford Ranger lifted 6" with 33s. :nuts:

I guess you have never seen a prerunner built for fun, a 1400/1450 class prerunner or a class 7 rig. Most JeepSpeed rigs are 2wd for most courses. They swap front axles as needed.

There is even way more lift parts available for 2wd Ranger then MJ's...

There is a ton of tech we can learn and use from them....

Here are some great links that I have learned from, I will be using what I learned for my MJ build. :brows:

http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/index.php

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1

There is a ton of great tech on both boards.

I've been thinking about buying a 2.3L 5spd and using it as a DD. It would get a long travel A-arm front suspension with some 64" Chevy rear springs. 33x10.5 would be the choice for tires. Good MPG with the proper gearing and nice ride quaility.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

This is nice too. ;)

Image Not Found

:cheers:

End Hi-jack

Down south it may make sense, but trust me, there are no deserts in or near Ohio.

I'm in Wisconsin. Mine will make to the dunes in Michigan and a trip out west. You don't need a stinkin' desert. All you need is legal wide open areas. I bet Ohio has some of those.... I have relatives with 800 acres of land that is mainly wide open with some good places to catch air if I want too. Fire roads are fun to cruise on too. You would be amazed at what a 2wd with a spool and a 50/50 wieght bias can go. I'll stay in 2wd after everyone else is in 4wd unless I need 4wd. I have permission to wheel a local gravel pit and you need to get airbourne to climb over the top of most of the walls. 2wd just means I need to start the climb at a low speed instead of getting on the wall in 4wd and standing on it.

It will handle speed bumps at 50+mph if you found a legal spot.

The difference between a prerunner and most 4wd is the handling and control on rough terrain. Read about them and incorporate some of their tech into your rig, it will make it handle /ride better. The rollcage design is far superior and will do way more then just a factory rollbar or most of the cages I have seen in an MJ to protect you and stiffen the chassis.

Don't slam on people because of they have different set-ups then you.... Learn from them.

For all you know he could be laughing at your rig because he could blow you doors off in most highspeed runs.

I suppose you would think some else who lived by you was :nuts: if he owned this.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Or this

Image Not Found