TJ owner's knowledge needed

chicofuentes0224

K, I just convinced my delivery guy to trade his Mini Cooper S in for a Jeep. He's looking at a 2003 Rubicon. Anybody have any first hand knowledge on what to look for (pros and cons) as far as looking for TJ's circa 2000-2005. He's gonna be towing my rear end to IA in July.

Assuming "stock", a Rubi should have F/R Dana44's with 4.10's and the Rubi Air Locker setup... I would just look for the "normal" stuff.. Body, Mileage, if anything looks to be non-stock (lift components, etc). If he sticks with a Rubi, he should be pretty well setup, depending on what he wants to do... a "X" or "Sport",etc are obviously going to have a butt load of different options (lower end, and usually less $$$). Would also consider what Top options (soft/hard/dual top) come with the TJ and if they want the Unlimited or Short Wheel base (2004 and newer, but 3.73 gears instead of 4:10). A friend got a 2004 Rubi Unlmited, and I like the space in the back, just not crazy about the overall look... it's OK, I just prefer the SWB in the TJ Body (just a personal preference).

"The Wrangler Rubicon (named for the famed Rubicon Trail in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California) was introduced in 2003 and has been considered the best out of the box off road vehicle ever built. It featured front and rear Dana 44 axles with built-in air-actuated locking differentials, 4:1 low-range NP241OR transfer case, 4.10:1 differential gears, 16 inch alloy wheels, and Goodyear MTR P245/75R16 tires. All Rubicon models were equipped with the 4.0L I-6 engine. 2003 and 2004 featured the NV3550 manual transmission in the Rubicon while 2005 and 2006 models used the NSG370 six speed. The 42RLE four-speed automatic transmission was available from 2003 to 2006. Rubicon models also featured rear disc brakes, diamond plate rocker guards and wider fender flares. The Rubicon was available in Unlimited and short wheelbase versions."

basically its like drving a tin can. very purpose built obviously.

if he doesn't realize that he shouldn't drive a wrangler. he is coming from a bmw made car, quiet and quick. so he needs to know he is drving a loud, slow, gas guzzling turd. water leaks should be expected. about 15 mpgs max. tire noise rough ride etc.

but they are fun.

and he should NEVER leave anything valuable in it. it doesn't matter if it has an alarm or not or if he locks the doors etc.

We have a 05 TJ Rocky Mountain Edition. Its actually not that bad. The ride isn't bad for what it is and it has good power. The aftermarket support is incredible which is a plus.

Oh and Chico, he should be hauling your rear end to the Badlands in July, not Iowa. :D

but i love my tj. i chose the base model SE with the 2.4 liter 4 banger and a 5 spd.

it has no options. it came without a factory radio. and its great.

We bought our TJ Sport new in 1999... It was originally (and for the first few years the wife's primary vehicle) We basically wanted a 4.0L with Auto and a Hard top and AC (we lived in SoCal and it was HOT) and it had to be green (again the wife's decision). Everything else didn't matter. We didn't even wheel it for the first few years and basically after we got the family vehicle in 2003 (Chevy Tahoe), the Jeep become mine.

If I were buying a newer one today, I would be torn between a base model for quite a bit less money and spend that extra towards the real stuff you want (axles/gears/lockers/armor, etc) vs a Rubicon that is pretty nicely setup, but not super hardcore. If I got a Rubi today, the stock Axles and Gears and lockers would be a step down from what I've added to my TJ now, and I'm much better setup to go bigger (35"-37") down the road that I would be if I had a stock Rubi... granted it wasn't cheap, and I spent better than $15 last year to build it up. So I guess it depends if you want to build a "monster" then I would start base and build the stuff I want, or if you just wanted a good everyday offroad rig, but not plan any big upgrades (at least for a while), then the Rubi's are great too.

A guy in our club bought a brand new Rubi, swapped out the brand new Rubi Axles with some Dynatrack ProRock 60's front and rear, some insane long arm kit and 38" Tires... the thing is a TANK... of course the dude is loaded, so cash wasn't a concern...

I owned a 2003 Rubicon and it was a great truck. I would look very closely at the mileage. It is very easy to disconnect the odometer from behind the gauge cluster. Look at the srews that hold the gauge cluster. If they look pristine, you should be ok. If they looked hacked (they have been taken in and out a lot) ask why that is? There aren't a lot of reasons for going back there.

Back in my tree planting days we rented a cargo van for 3 weeks. Went through a tank of gas a day, but brought it back with only about 100 miles on it.

We disconnected the speedo cable at the transmission on that one. Much easier to reach than the gauge cluster.

With todays computer controlled cars with electronic speedometers that doesn't work anymore. The computer needs to know the speed in order to shift the transmission correctly.

Love my 03 Rubi! From what I have heard, the 5 speed manual is a stronger, longer lasting tranny. The 6 speed is nice but does not last as long. If he is buying it from the 1st owner and it has less than 70,000 miles on it he can still transfer the factory warranty. The power train warranty is 7 years or 70,000 miles and covers the engine, transmission, suspension, axles and lockers. I wasted my front axle both inners and outers plus bent the tube. Got a quote for almost 3 grand to fix. Reminded them that I still had the factory warranty and it only cost me the 100 dollar deductable! jamminz.gif

Love my TJ sport. I almost bought a Rubi but didn't think they were worth the extra for the 44 front axle, lockers, and 4:1. I don't get to wheel nearly as much as i want so those options would have given me a ROI and i've never needed them(yet). Not sure when i'll get lockers now as i walk though/over obstacles with half the problems many Rubi's have. A lot of the Jeeps capabilities is due to drivers skill, many Rubi owners around here are city types that can't drive and just assume that little button is all they need to gt over something. i normally suggest 1st time TJ owners get a sport or X so they can get used to driving without lockers so they pick their lines better.

BTW Rubi's are great as any Jeep they just have more so they cost more....i won't buy a JK just because of the engine.... :mad: