Hot Floorboard?

So this is for all you Mj people out there who have taken out their carpet. Does your floorboard get hot? to the point to where you can feel it radiating onto your leg while driving? does anyone know of a fix to keep it cooler inside the cab? thanks for all your help beforehand

Just a thought: Is your cat welded on right-side up? Most of them have a small heat shield that blocks direct radiation from the cat to the floorboard when it's on right.

You could probably fab a simple sheet metal heat shield and pop rivet it to the underside of the floor if everything is correct and you are still getting too hot. I had to do that on a Chevy truck once. I tucked the exhaust up tight for ground clearance and got a passenger foot-warmer in the process.

are you getting that heat on the driver's side?

just drive it in winter 8)

lol. it's from the bellhousing area is my best guess...no idea why it would be different than other 4.0's though in the quantity of heat you get.

The area between the seats on mine would get really hot! I later found out that it was caused from a transfer case with very low fluid levels. After I topped it off, it only got warm. The trans tunnel gets hot, but only when wheeling.

One I had my cat leak hot exhaust up under the passanger seat, and burn the paint off of the floor, and melt a CD!! :redX:

i also got a very hot passenger floor. i have it coated with hurculiner and it is still hot. can i make a shield to clamp to the pipe or bolt it to the floor or is there a better way to fix that problem.

The shield sounds like a really good idea to me.. Some aluminum flashing for roofs might work...

I like the idea of vinyl floor for clean up purposes. Has anybody ever thought of getting carpet like Wranglers have that are removable, washable and come in seperate parts. I think if someone came up with that kit for our trucks that would be the B.O.M.B

If you have a center console you can cut it so it tucks under, around the seat mount down the middle. You and cut the rear so it removes also. I did this with my XJ and it worked great.

There is some good heat shields out there aftermarket, search and find exactly what you need. Some mount outside and others inside. Dynomat is great for sound.

I read in an article where they put down some dynamat and Herculiner in a bed of a truck that got really hot. Then i heard from someone who actually put down herculiner and said that when the vehicle heated up the herculiner smelled horrible. anyone else experience a smell from herculiner heating up?

I like the idea of vinyl floor for clean up purposes. Has anybody ever thought of getting carpet like Wranglers have that are removable, washable and come in seperate parts. I think if someone came up with that kit for our trucks that would be the B.O.M.B

If you have a center console you can cut it so it tucks under, around the seat mount down the middle. You and cut the rear so it removes also. I did this with my XJ and it worked great.

There is some good heat shields out there aftermarket, search and find exactly what you need. Some mount outside and others inside. Dynomat is great for sound.

Ya I think when I go to restore my interior I'll POR 15 the inside. Then Dynamat it. Then lay vinyl over that with some kind of drain so I can hose off the inside. And finally I'm just gonna pay some one to make me custom carpet that is removable in sections and made of space age fibers that can be hosed down or just thrown in the laundrymat washers. And on top of all of it I'm going to Wally-world and picking up a pair of floormats with either the Tazmanian devil, yosemite sam, or the outline of that chick you see on trucker's mud flaps. All in all I'll end up spending more on the dang floor than I did on the truck :rotfl2: