Oversize Oil Filter

Does anybody do this? I was doing some reading this past week and came across this subject. I couldn't find any negatives... except that it mentioned converting the vertically positioned filter to a horizontal position... Not sure why, there looks to be plenty of room for the larger filter regardless, I'll take another look though.

I currently have been using Fram filters (PH16)... according to the book the oversize Fram equivilant is a PH8A... Thoughts???

Does anybody do this? I was doing some reading this past week and came across this subject. I couldn't find any negatives... except that it mentioned converting the vertically positioned filter to a horizontal position... Not sure why, there looks to be plenty of room for the larger filter regardless, I'll take another look though.

I currently have been using Fram filters (PH16)... according to the book the oversize Fram equivilant is a PH8A... Thoughts???

I'm doing it on my 91 which has the horizontal filter, and am using a Mobil 1 M1-301 filter. More oil capacity is always good. :D The rear end of the canister comes close to the starter + cable, so when changing the filter I simply insulate it with a cloth or something, no problem. Other filters that can be used are:

5.178" HIGH, 3.660" DIAMETER 3/4-16

AC-Delco PF2

Motorcraft FL-1A

Purolator PER1A

Mobil 1 M1-301

6.93" HIGH, 3.660" DIAMETER 3/4-16

Napa 1773

Wix 51773

AC-Delco PF42

Motorcraft FL299

Purolator L40017

ANYBODY makes a better filter than Fram.

As to why you have to convert to the horizontal filter mount, it's because the vertical mount uses a metric thread, and the oversize filter(s) you want to use don't come in the metric thread. If you have a '92, you already have the horizontal mount so that won't be an issue for you.

Personally, I can't think of a single good reason for making the conversion. If you use decent oil and a decent filter, and change the oil at a sane interval, the normal size filter is plenty adequate.

I always look for the filter with a anti-drain back valve. I just changed my oil and got a pretty blue Purolator Pureone advanced auto part# pl14619

for my mj.. It was the mid-grade filer..

Ditto, and even better is when Advance has the buy one get one free on the Purloators :D

And I'm glad Randy in Maine posted that link, have not seen it in some time :thumbsup:

i run factory mopar 090 filters. but i also work at the dealership 8) they fit almost every chrysler/dodge/jeep made

Except the '87 - '90 Jeep 4.0L with the metric threads. Never EVER use that filter on those.

i run factory mopar 090 filters. but i also work at the dealership 8) they fit almost every chrysler/dodge/jeep made

Except the '87 - '90 Jeep 4.0L with the metric threads. Never EVER use that filter on those.

Ive never tried a M090 on my 88....but excatly what would happen, you got me wondering now :nuts:

Yeah, it "falls" off -- under between 40 and 60 psi. Not exactly a cruise missile, but it makes quite a mess. I've had an oil filter gasket blow out, on a Toyota. Don't even want to think about the entire filter blowing off.