Spark plugs

I'd have to say its the price difference,, 2 bucks a plugs vrs 6..

Nope. It's because I've heard too many stories of the platinum electrode tip breaking off and taking out the piston. The stock plugs with the Jeep high energy ignition easily last 50,000 miles or better, so why mess around with a hand grenade in your engine?

I also tried a set of SplitFires in the XJ once. Didn't run any better than standard NGKs, and gas mileage was worse. Sometimes, newer and more expensive doesn't mean "better," it just means newer and more expensive.

Eagle, when you say "standard NGKs", what's the number? I picked up a set of the NGK copper core 7252 (FR5-1) plugs, which are the ones recommended on their web site and everywhere else. I've been running Champion RC9VC Copper Plus plugs. The reach on the Champions is 3/4"; the NGKs have a 22mm (.866") reach, slightly longer. NGK also makes a FR5 plug which has a 3/4" reach. Any problem with using the longer reach plugs in the stroker? Any benefits?

Gawd, I don't remember. It's been a couple or three years since the last time I bought them. I just walked into Advanced Auto and ordered them. Whatever they gave me is what I used.

Got to be the FRP-1 (7252) then as that's the one they list. Their reach is .116" longer than the Champions.

Not to stir the pot on the platinum issue, but... I've been told in the past that platinum plugs are recommended on everything '92 and newer (not sure why :dunno: ) and that they are stock issue with all new models rolling off the assembly line... any truth to this? Thoughts???

For what it's worth I run Champion Platinums in mine. I guess I went with the platinums under the impression that it was a better quality plug.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Autozone, they didn't carry NGK anymore.

Went to Advance, out of stock, so I ordered them.

They listed two NGK plugs, one was the platinum, one was the copper core V Power. I got the V Power. They have a regular side electrode, and a V shaped center electrode, as opposed to the splitfire plugs which have a single center electrode and a split side electrode.

Anyway, they are FR5, stock number 7373. I hope these are the right ones. What came out was AC Delco FRI5. Now I like Ac Delco, and they are the only plugs that work well in my Suburban, but I'm a firm believer that GM parts (like AC Delco) belong only on GM vehicles.

Gawd, I don't remember. It's been a couple or three years since the last time I bought them. I just walked into Advanced Auto and ordered them. Whatever they gave me is what I used.

Got to be the FRP-1 (7252) then as that's the one they list. Their reach is .116" longer than the Champions.

I tried the NGK FRP-1s. They are equivalent to the OEM Champion copper core RC12LYC. By reading the color after some WOT runs, they were obviously too hot for my stroker. I suppose they would be fine for a stock engine. Hesco recommends the Champion RC9YCs for their engines, which appeared too cold. So I went up one heat range to Champion RC10YCs; these are ideal.

Went to Autozone, they didn't carry NGK anymore.

Went to Advance, out of stock, so I ordered them.

They listed two NGK plugs, one was the platinum, one was the copper core V Power. I got the V Power. They have a regular side electrode, and a V shaped center electrode, as opposed to the splitfire plugs which have a single center electrode and a split side electrode.

Anyway, they are FR5, stock number 7373. I hope these are the right ones. What came out was AC Delco FRI5. Now I like Ac Delco, and they are the only plugs that work well in my Suburban, but I'm a firm believer that GM parts (like AC Delco) belong only on GM vehicles.

Those should be correct for a 4.0, I have a 2.5 and use FR5-1, stock number 7252, but the stock number doesn't matter. The 2.5 and 4.0 are basically the same block one just has 2 more cylinders.