Engine Detectives Need Apply!

Well let's start with a little Background information

I reciently purchased a 1990 Comanche 4.0L Eliminator for a Cheap price.

The PO informed me that it isn't the original engine, that he took it out of a truck that had a roll over. I wasn't complaining too much cause of the price.

I did a little searching and saw that the ID on the side of the engine

was 701M20

Is it possible that, that IS the orignal engine or was he telling the truth, cause there was something shaddy about him.

What should the engine ID be for a 1990 comanche eliminator?

plus this truck is having quite a few issues which I will post about in another thread. thanks for the detective work!

That's not the casting number, it's the build date code. My '88 FSM says:

1st character = year

2nd & 3rd characters = month

4th character is engine type (M=4.0L)

5th & 6th character = day

701M20 sounds a lot like 4.0L, January 20th, 1987

No this is diffently a Renix engine

so it is an engine from 1987

I was wondering why there were some things missing / somethings that shouldn't be there. well that's annoying, I guess I'll meet to get a manual for a 1987 engine now.. anyone know where I would find one?

theres the possibility its a 97... did you find and chrysler stars on it anywhere? and is there a hole in the head for the temp sender near the firewall?

My 88 XJ had the temp sender on the head near the firewall.

I was wondering why there were some things missing / somethings that shouldn't be there. well that's annoying, I guess I'll meet to get a manual for a 1987 engine now.. anyone know where I would find one?

There wasn't a single manual for '87, it's a collection of manuals for the various sub systems.

Do you have a manual for the '90? The engine is the same. They made a few very minor tweaks between 1987 and 1988 to get a few extra horsepower out of it, but mechanically it all goes together exactly the same. In fact, for the engine (not the fuel injection) you could just as well use a manual from any AMC 6-cylinder all the way back to 1965. The 199/232/258/4.0L are all the same basic engine.

What do you think is missing and what do you have that doesn't belong? There's virtually no difference between the 87 and the 90 -- are you sure you're not comparing to a 91 or newer engine setup?