kia sportage

MJohnny

My wife had one. Not bad. It ain't a Jeep but it isn't bad. Rode decent, drove okay. I don't recall what year hers was. It was the last year thay they had a low range transfer case. The next year it got slightly longer and heavier, and they eliminated the low range. I lost interest in it as a budget alternative to a Cherokee after that.

sportages went off the market for '03-'04 model years, then were reintroduced in '05...lotsa stuff changed on them during the redesign. When I demolished our Spectra back around thanksgiving, I went car searching in hopes of finding an '02 5 speed 4WD, with no luck whatsoever here in my area.

Ended up buying an '01 TJ, but it wasn't my first choice...

Jeff

until last friday, i worked at a kia dealer in the service department (left for better pay, better career field). we didn't have too many mechanical problems with them. i'd say the biggest problem is on the 4wds, the vacuum hub system tends to fail and get contaminated, which requires replacing the front driveshafts, hubs, knuckles, and some vac lines. check to see if that's been done and if the 4wd works. the warranty on those is 5 years/60,000 miles for anyone after the 1st owner (i.e. used ones). the original owner would have 10 years/100,000 miles for the powertrain (including the 4x4 problem i mentioned), so if there's a problem with the 4x4 get it fixed before the sale.