Rear lift Qs

Even if it is a loooong ways off, I'd like to start researching my options for a lift. I have a Rusty's 3"aal with a Chevy drop shackle at the 1" setting right now for an estimated 4" over stock... What are my options for the rear without going SOA? Right now I can only see myself doing 5-5.5" total lift. Re-arched springs? Where do I get them? How much? ect. I'm not totally rejecting doing a SOA, but I do want to know what my other options are. Thanks!

Alan[/i]

std MJ packs are 3+1, 1 being the overload spring. that gives you std payload. 4+1's are to replace the Big Ton (or Metric Ton as it is also called) packs, or to upgrade to from your std packs if you want more payload. I think Hellcreek's std packs are rated at 950lbs and the heavy packs at 1440lbs. Of course part of the load is transferred to your front end, so these ratings do not represent total payload capacity, but specific load ratings of the spring if I am correct. By name, obviously, the Big Ton package from the factory was rated for a 1 ton payload, 2205lbs actually. But again, from the factory that included heavier coils and a few other beef ups such as the D44.

The length of the rear leafs is what it is, I mean it is the same on all MJ"s.

BUT as it pertains to AAL's there is a long OR a short. I prefer the long, but its up to you. I am guessing this is what your talking about when you refer to spring lengths.

I have Rusty's 4" leafs. I like them allot. They are NOT made by Rusty's, only sold by them. They are soft and flex very well. They have settled a bit but I am still sure I have netted more then the advertised 4". I am adding a RE AAL this spring. I want a bit more spring rate for when I have weight in the bed or when I am trailering.

CW

Ah, so that first lift (3"F, 2"R) is simply an add-a leaf, and you can option the extra leaf "long" or "short"... am I right?

http://www.hellcreeksuspensions.com/jeep.htm

What I hear about aal kits is that they basically screw up how the existing springs are meant to work together... usually yielding a stiffer ride (and i'm assuming poorer flex??)

What I hear about aal kits is that they basically screw up how the existing springs are meant to work together... usually yielding a stiffer ride (and i'm assuming poorer flex??)

That is very true for "short" (half-length) AALs, and very much less true for full-length AALs. However, very few "full-length" AALs are really full length. For example, the Rancho "full-length" AAL is almost full-length for an XJ, but MJ springs are 5" longer than XJ springs, so it obviously isn't full-length under an MJ. But it also isn't trying to massively over-power the original spring pack and create a monster lift with one leaf, so it works pretty will.

The ideal AAL (for a moderate lift) is the main leaves of another set of MJ springs, with the eyes cut off. The arch matches, and they are a true full length. MJ spring packs are hard to find, but older S-10 and early Dakota packs are similar in length and easy to find in junk yards.

Once the weather warms up, I'm looking at putting an XJ main leaf into an MJ pack, with the goal of increasing the spring rate (carrying capacity) without gaining much lift. should be interesting.