Though i broke my mj yesterday---edit fixed again

Confedneck

good story here, let me try and make in tolerable to read lol

yesterday afternoon, my buddy came over, and he's a catalyst for me breaking trucks and doing stupid $#!&....

we decided to go for a ride in the MJ.... first we headed to a customer of mines shop where they were buttoning up a 1ton LJ on 38s... left there and hit a little easy canal-side trail on the way back to my place.

my buddy spotted a hill off to the left so we headed towards it, it's a 4wheeler trail going up, so i figure, wtf the mj isnt too wide.... well made it up in 2wd then dropped the rf tire off the other side... put it in 4hi and back up, turn the wheels hard left and end up in the brazilian pepper bushes, not good, back down the hill, and take the line up it to the right, dead end there... no good either... back down to the trail and around the otherside of the hill..

its almost a straight up climb, but we figured wed get the front tires as far up it as possible, tried it in 2wd, but no luck,,, so put the tcase in 4hi and stalled it up just past the convertor and climbed about 3' and POP KAPOW BANG.... all batman-esque noises.... back to 2wd, back to the house...

no broken ujoints, front driveshaft spinning.... last time i did that, i blew a carrier in half on my 1/2 ton chevrolet....

luckily i just didnt have the CAD fork spaced over with wasers quite enough for good engagement... fixed and ready to roll....

better? lol

hmm, its just a $1k MJ... it was bought to be beat... its gonna need a rebuild on the drivetrain soon anyways... so again i say, i bought one with a 4.0 so i wouldnt need 4lo... the time it won't break stall cuz the tires are that bound up, ill hold it to the wood til it blows... what better excuse to rebuild?

Gearing really is your friend. I've got a 4.0 and do everything in 4lo. No amount of engine torque will be better than the sweet control that low gearing gives. Even the big dogs use low range for everything but maybe sand and mud pits. It lets your engine stay in its optimum rpm (which I think is about ~2k for the 4.0) at the same time the tires are at their optimum rpm. (granted that the terrain "optimum" will change which is probably why there has been an explosion in available gearings for t-case, both stock and aftermarket)

hmm, its just a $1k MJ... it was bought to be beat... its gonna need a rebuild on the drivetrain soon anyways... so again i say, i bought one with a 4.0 so i wouldn't need 4lo... the time it won't break stall cuz the tires are that bound up, ill hold it to the wood til it blows... what better excuse to rebuild?

I just don't agree with this whole "Drive it like you stole it" thing...

Sorry man, but driving like that is plain dumb. Whipping the snot out of your rig because you can makes no sense. Not to mention anything about tread lightly... Whats this nonsense about 4.0 not needing 4lo???? Come on!! Give it a try, you just might surprise yourself!!! Your Jeeps got it for a reason, It would not be there if it wasn't needed.

Try accomplishing an obstacle with out spinning a tire or having to back up to take a different line. That's DRIVING. Bouncing off the rev limiter as you climb a rock pile is ...well...its dumb.

CW

you do know i live in florida, right? hillclimbs? not spinning a tire is not an option in the mucky goo we play in, and i havent found a revlimiter yet on my mj, does it have one?

your rev limiter will be the crankshaft letting itself loose at 4900rpm

as for me, my rev limiter is the gentle roar of a 4lo NP231 behind 2nd gear of my 5spd behind my 4-uh-oh (thanks to Beaterjeep for the new nickname)

21-2200 is my limit, low's got enough grunt to walk me up anything in my path. Stock.

you do know i live in florida, right? hillclimbs? not spinning a tire is not an option in the mucky goo we play in, and i havent found a revlimiter yet on my mj, does it have one?

Mud IS a different animal. It also dose require wheel spin to keep the tread as clean as possible. Your also likely best to keep it in 4HI as well, to keep wheel speed up.

Just watch the RPM's as you'll be warned by floating valves just before you punch a hole thru your block when a connecting rod lets go. :eek: :oops:

I was thinking rocks as this is what many prefer, mud is fun but is something you grow out of, it ruins seals and is a pain to clean. When you do get to some rocks, 4LO is your best friend!!

Have fun with it!!

CW

its almost a straight up climb, but we figured wed get the front tires as far up it as possible, tried it in 2wd, but no luck,,, so put the tcase in 4hi and stalled it up just past the convertor and climbed about 3' and POP KAPOW BANG.... all batman-esque noises.... back to 2wd, back to the house...

you do know i live in florida, right? hillclimbs?

i'm not tryin to be an @$$ or anything but from the original story it definitely sounds like this was a pristine moment for 4lo. and it sounds like it was a hill climb as well... :dunno:

i guess if a hill is a 12' tall hardpack dirt mound, sure....

and if you can't have fun wheeling the way you want to, i suggest you quit wheeling...

not so sure ill grow out of mud either... its been my primary off-road experience for the last 7 years and I'm pretty sure it'll stay that way, it's what we got here

Yes...there are a lot ofmud-loving people here in FL...BUT...I am NOT one of them. I would rather tow my Jeep 10 hours to find good rocks before driving 15 minutes to a mud hole ;)

I used to do the mud thing and found that 4hi was definitely my friend in the mud holes, but 4lo is so much more fun on rocks when you can feel the vehicle work and you get to use some driving skill to make it through the obstacles. :cheers: