D44 in JY. How much $ ?

Tracker

We saw a D44 (with a LSD tag too) in a JY MJ today. The guy says $450. That sounded a little steep to me. The truck had 249K on it and it would need to be regeared to 4.10's too for us to use.

a junkyard dana 44 is worth NO MORE than $150-$200 IMHO.

they haven't inspected it, nor will they. it is worth the price of scrap metal to them, and they WILL let it go cheaper but you need to work them down.

that's TOO MUCH. half a grand? no fricking way...for that it better have brand new brakes and the gears you want.

We saw a D44 (with a LSD tag too) in a JY MJ today. The guy says $450. That sounded a little steep to me. The truck had 249K on it and it would need to be regeared to 4.10's too for us to use.

a junkyard dana 44 is worth NO MORE than $150-$200 IMHO.

they haven't inspected it, nor will they. it is worth the price of scrap metal to them, and they WILL let it go cheaper but you need to work them down.

that's TOO MUCH. half a grand? no fricking way...for that it better have brand new brakes and the gears you want.

:cheers: I'll drink to that

It depends what type of establisment they are and who their usual customers are. There's places I can swing deals at, and places that just WON'T work with me. They know that if they wait long enough they can get the asking price and they're willing to wait.

$450 is too much. I could get an 8.8 pulled, with 4.10s, disks, and a LS for a lower price than that on an half hours notice. And that's not a good deal either... A D44 out of a MJ/XJ is rarer, but not worth as much (300-400 from the scammers, $150 from the better yards).

100$ more than the ones i checked out. they wanted 350$ for ALL gear ratios. too damn expensive for me. but like i have said before in a different topic, the junk yards around here sell their junk for WAY too much. definitely overpriced. i couldn't imagine what it would have cost me to get that 3.4L if i had decided to keep this truck and do the swap for it. though they didn't even have the engine.

i still wouldn't pay that much. brakes don't cost too much. don't know the price of gears. might as well buy a wrecked cherokee for that that has a 44 in it, you could sell all the parts you don't need and get your money back plus have what you wanted. and maybe even hard spare parts that you might need.

Thanx guys, that's about what I figured. The SoCal NAXJA parts whores throw off our judgement sometimes, maybe deliberately.

I'd be interested to know where this JY guy makes his money because I know it isn't in return business from giving good deals. He has about 2 MJ/XJ customers: me and my son. D44's, bucket seats, tail lights, instrument clusters, chrome rear step bumpers, and full black interiors just sit there unless we buy them. Sometimes for years.

He's closed on the weekends too. :nuts:

Thanx guys, that's about what I figured. The SoCal NAXJA parts whores throw off our judgement sometimes, maybe deliberately.

I'd be interested to know where this JY guy makes his money because I know it isn't in return business from giving good deals. He has about 2 MJ/XJ customers: me and my son. D44's, bucket seats, tail lights, instrument clusters, chrome rear step bumpers, and full black interiors just sit there unless we buy them. Sometimes for years.

He's closed on the weekends too. :nuts:

get me a black interior please :D

as far as OTHER BRAND axles go, it's comparing apples to oranges with that. they are in no way worth what a comanche dana 44 or cherokee dana 44 is. the comanche/cherokee dana 44's were like a 3 year option, and are an abnormal width...no other heavy duty axles are bolt-in with the correct width.

in light of that, YES you WILL pay more than most other axles BUT you shouldn't be paying 2 weeks worth of spending money for 1 axle that's NOT rebuilt at the very least.