what is it and do I need it for the conversion

can't be cruise control. that jeep doesn't have one, or atleast I don't' think so.....

it's cruise.

what's more is, if that's a 96 XJ, why does your cruise box say AMC.

that's not stock to your vehicle, as in 96 the cruise was different as is the steering column.

most likely, your knee-board is a late 80's early 90's era knee-board

Anybody else got a picture of their TCU, or remember looking at the numbers? I see two number boxes on that one, and the right-hand box says '88.' With the cruise box being an AMC unit, why do I get the feeling that '88' refers to the year of the vehicle?

Does this "96" XJ have an air bag in the steering wheel? Chrysler began using driver's side air bags in the 1995 model year for the XJ. If your donor is a '96 it should have an air bag.

It should also have an electronic speedo. Does the speedo have a cable?

Anybody else got a picture of their TCU, or remember looking at the numbers? I see two number boxes on that one, and the right-hand box says '88.' With the cruise box being an AMC unit, why do I get the feeling that '88' refers to the year of the vehicle?

Does this "96" XJ have an air bag in the steering wheel? Chrysler began using driver's side air bags in the 1995 model year for the XJ. If your donor is a '96 it should have an air bag.

It should also have an electronic speedo. Does the speedo have a cable?

I agree

if this thing was wired up...I'm leaning towards it NOT being a 96. did you get the title?