Mechanics! GRRRRRRRRR!

Eagle

Just before Christmas I was in bad shape with a back injury, the weather here was terrible, and I was slated for a road trip of about 600 miles each way. And my front axle u-joints were toast. So I broke the cardinal rule and paid a shop to replace them.

Today as I was driving home I noticed (as I have several times over the last few days) that I could see my door handles in my left side mirror. And again it occurred to me that I should not be able to see the door handles, because the side view mirror is for ... well ... seeing the SIDE view. So this time I stopped, and checked, and I found that indeed the "side" view was largely an overlap of the rear view. I reset the side mirror, and the glass felt sort of wobbly.

And then I remembered that when I picked up the XJ from the shop the guy mentioned that he had road tested it. Which means that this idiot readjusted my side view mirror, probably breaking the gimbel inside because it hasn't been moved in twenty years (yes, Old Faithful is 20 years old this week), just to drive a couple of miles on a 2-lane state road for a road test.

However many synonyms you can think of for PISSED OFF! ... that's me right about now.

I know the feeling,

Years ago my YJ was in the shop, (the last time it was ever).

The jerks were supposed to redo the oil pan gaskets, and rear main seal.

well the actual BOZO who put it on the lift raised it up so high that he pushed my hardtop right up into something that snapped a whole in the roof.

Worse yet, they didn't tell me or anything! they just patched it with some fiberglass bondo, and did a lousey job too!

when I discovered it, and went back to complain, the owner of the shop denied it, (he must have know because he didn't even ask anyone at the shop).

I told him I would Sue him, he said "Go ahead".

I called a Lawyer, he said unless I had a Picture before it went into the shop showing it was ok, that we would not have a case.

I went back to the shop and gave the guy one last chance to make it right, he told me to "get lost", and not exactly so nicely.

:headpop:

I won't tell you how I got my satisfaction, but lets just say I think the deductible on his insurance would have been more then throwing me a few bucks to calm me down!

:brows:

Not that I am saying you should do something like that.

I hear ya! My father in law absolutely will not let me work on his jimmy cause he only lets professionals work on his cars! :mad: Anyways last month he takes it in to have shocks put on so i went with him. The tech came out and said that he also needed tie rods, front end alignment and possibly wheel bearing for a grand total of $1200 bucks :eek: I knew what was up because we had just left Cabellas and I was driving. 1. the steering was tight as a drum so no tie rods were needed, 2. the truck was not pulling and tracked straight down the road. So I asked for him to show us. He went into this whole horse and pony show and thats when I grabed the wheel of the truck on the lift gave it a good shake and there was no play hence no need for bearings. Thats when I asked to speak to the shop supervisor and informed him of the lies his tech was spewing. Well good ole dad now wants me to work on his truck but I told him $50 bucks an hour and we can deal :brows:

Just before Christmas I was in bad shape with a back injury, the weather here was terrible, and I was slated for a road trip of about 600 miles each way. And my front axle u-joints were toast. So I broke the cardinal rule and paid a shop to replace them.

Today as I was driving home I noticed (as I have several times over the last few days) that I could see my door handles in my left side mirror. And again it occurred to me that I should not be able to see the door handles, because the side view mirror is for ... well ... seeing the SIDE view. So this time I stopped, and checked, and I found that indeed the "side" view was largely an overlap of the rear view. I reset the side mirror, and the glass felt sort of wobbly.

And then I remembered that when I picked up the XJ from the shop the guy mentioned that he had road tested it. Which means that this idiot readjusted my side view mirror, probably breaking the gimbel inside because it hasn't been moved in twenty years (yes, Old Faithful is 20 years old this week), just to drive a couple of miles on a 2-lane state road for a road test.

However many synonyms you can think of for PISSED OFF! ... that's me right about now.

Just to stir the pot, any chance someone walked past your Jeep in the parking lot and whacked the mirror, knocking it loose?

any chance you're seriously pissed? cmon, you expect someone to road test your truck, and NOT adjust the mirrors? as a tech, i always adjusted the mirrors... as a customer, id much rather adjust my mirrors when i pick my truck up, than wait an extra two weeks, while it's at the body shop because the tech didnt want to upset me by moving my mirrors, and he changed lanes and sideswiped somebody.... but thats just a little perspective.... now what is EFFED up is that if he knew he broke it, he didnt say anything