Had a KICK ASS Jeep day today!

joshmillslane

After much work and many failures, my MJ is finally 100% street legal for super-anal Northern Virginia! So first thing in the morning, I'll be at the DMV to renew my expired tags.

I passed my emissions this afternoon after a lot of fiddling and 3 failures over the last 2 months. It turned out to be a restrictive washer in the new EGR valve I installed to replace the old one. DO NOT install any washers in yours like the instructions say - you WILL fail emissions.

So, I celebrated by painting the truck a nice OD Green. 8 cans of Krylon so far. Looks badass! Tomorrow after it's a bit more dry I'll go over any thin spots and do the door jambs, headlight buckets, and any other interior metal.

I'm so motivated to work on the truck again. I was getting really frustrated with all the inspection failures - just seemed like I was wasting my time and money, but it's all good now. jamminz.gif

GOOD TO HEAR!!!

But you painted it today??? Its friggin' 15 degrees here!!! :eek: :eek: How cold was it in Virginia????

I am going to paint mine too...one of these days.......

:brows:

CW

Right friggin cold here today. It was 20 this morning and maybe got up to 40-45 degrees.

Great news on your exam results! :cheers:

Well, I was trying not to turn this into a projects thread, but here it goes, here are the still drying pics. I figure a night in the heated garage and it should be ready for touching up of the thinner spots. It was cold today in the 40s or so when we sprayed it, but we got it inside real quick afterwards. They say you can't paint when it's that cold, but I'm not gonna live by their rules! I'm also in the process of turning the interior black - some of those pieces are drying now too.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

what kind of interior paint are you using?

I buy from napa, their Tecnique brand vinyl semi-gloss black dye.

here's my thread on it, it's worn great so far! (you need black bucket seats :brows: )

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5097

I'd suggest that paint if you're not already using it, cause, as I say, it's holding up great. I painted the upper, lower, and rear trim, the main dash part (the rest I got in original black), and the door panels and armrests. great stuff.

Real pickups have bench seats....Right now, I'm just using some rustoleum flat black stuff for the hard plastic trim parts. we'll see how it holds up. I plan to get some vinyl dye for the main dash if I ever decide to yank it...looks like a whole lot of work! I think I'll get everything else done first and save that monster for last. If it's the only thing left, I'll have to do it, right?

wow,i can't believe that va is so strict on emissions for a 22 year old vehicle!!!what happens if you keep failing the test?will they give you a waiver?or do you just junk an otherwise perfectly usable vehicle? we have no safety or emission testing in e. tennessee for any year vehicle.even money grubbing ny where i used to live only tested obd-II(96 and newer)vehicles and if your truck was diesel or over 8600 lbs. gvw you only got the safety insp.anything 85 or older was not tested.ny did check the older cars for tampering so you still could flunk if your cat or other emission device was removed or disconnected.the new stuff (96 and newer)is tested by plugging the car into a "state approved" scanner and the data is downloaded to the state through the modem on the unit.there is no tailpipe test anymore. it is all done through the computer. if your car fails emissions and you can't fix it the state will give you a waiver after you prove you spent a minimum of 450 dollars in an attempt to get the car to pass. the waiver is only good for one year.at your next inspection,you either have to fix it right or junk the car.the state will only issue one waiver to any one car in it's lifetime.

Real pickups have bench seats....Right now, I'm just using some rustoleum flat black stuff for the hard plastic trim parts. we'll see how it holds up. I plan to get some vinyl dye for the main dash if I ever decide to yank it...looks like a whole lot of work! I think I'll get everything else done first and save that monster for last. If it's the only thing left, I'll have to do it, right?

don't use that rustoleum on anything that sees wear, it will probably wear off fast. the stuff I used is in a spray can and it's dye.

as for the dash, you remove all the little gadgets, glovebox door and trim below it, the trim piece between the window and the dash, the kneeboard, and then you have four of five 5/16" screws up front of the dash, and 2 15mm bolts on the bottom of it, plus another 2 (15mm???) on the steering column. then pull out the dash, slide it a bit, disconnect the wiring loom, and pull it gently out.

TNT and I yanked the dash in his 95 cherokee in under a half hour once we stopped jabbering (we can be known to talk too much). when I did it in the 3800, by myself it was 30 min. to yank it (had all the tools layed out and knew which ones I needed first time through) and about 40 to reinstall, since I had to hook the wiring loom back up to the dash. so, all-in-all, not that hard.

Yes, well VA sucks! They only give exemptions for vehicles 25 years and older. If your vehicle can't pass, you have to spend $700 at an approved facility to get a waiver. Otherwise, get rid of it, or do what a lot of people do - find someone who lives outside the inspection areas and have them title and register your car there. When I move, it will be to somewhere I don't have to deal with all the vehicle nonsense.

Looks pretty dang good!! You guys are killing it with the rattle can od greens...

I like the look of it!!

Say you only used 8 cans??

Ya i hate to agree , iv always wanted to paint mine od green with the star and lettering and all that but more and more people are doing it but one day ill muster up and get it done . right now I'm leaning towards desert camo but we will see.

the ride is looking schweet keep it up jamminz.gif

Looks pretty dang good!! You guys are killing it with the rattle can od greens...

I like the look of it!!

Ya i hate to agree , iv always wanted to paint mine od green with the star and lettering and all that but more and more people are doing it but one day ill muster up and get it done . right now I'm leaning towards desert camo but we will see.

Yep! Only 8 cans so far, and it looks like a good, even coating. We'll see how it wears, touch ups will be easy, lol.

The flat tan/desert look would be cool too I think. :USAflag:

I like the look of it!!

Yep! Only 8 cans so far, and it looks like a good, even coating. We'll see how it wears, touch ups will be easy, lol.

my next offroad MJ will be flat tan with either tan or black interior. it's a good choice I think.

I like the look of it!!

my next offroad MJ will be flat tan with either tan or black interior. it's a good choice I think.

Yeah like that mj on flea bay a while back... It did look pretty rugged like that.

I like the look of it!!

ya my truck is tan and i realy like the look , thats why iv not goten around to painting it but its starting to show some rust in spots so its either paint it camo something or original and i aint got the money to do a real paint job