Cap / Topper - Need More Information

Hi!

Once upon a time I saved this image of a Comanche with what I think I remember to be a "factory top" for the bed (see attached).

Does anyone have any information on these toppers? Do they appear for sale ever?

I really like the lines of it - enough to maybe try 3d printing one.

Does anyone have more pictures of these tops?

IMG_7581.jpg

On 2/25/2024 at 12:15 AM, Root Moose said:

Hi!

Once upon a time I saved this image of a Comanche with what I think I remember to be a "factory top" for the bed (see attached).

Does anyone have any information on these toppers? Do they appear for sale ever?

I really like the lines of it - enough to maybe try 3d printing one.

Does anyone have more pictures of these tops?

IMG_7581.jpg

3D printing? Where do you work to have access to a printer that big? 😅

I have a red 1988 Ford Ranger that came with a topper when I bought it a few years ago. It's actually an S-10 topper according to the PO, and it's just slightly too long for the Ranger, but is compensated for with padding. 

I have no use for a topper, I bought the truck to haul things with such as furniture and frequently the topper gets in the way. However, I haven't removed it yet because the PO installed a CB radio antenna on it and I haven't given any thought yet on where to put it. When I do get around to it, I'll see if it fits the Comanche. 

Unless measurements may be enough?

I did a reverse image search with google and found a thread about portal axles.

It says the truck was owned by a member named JohnX, you could message and see if he know what type of topper it is.

I also like the lines of it, and JohnX's Comanche with volvo portal axles.

On 3/3/2024 at 11:25 PM, Tex06 said:

I work from home. I'm building a large scale printer.  :L:

On 3/3/2024 at 11:25 PM, Tex06 said:

You can also do it in sections.

There Is a guy I have seen on youtube that you can buy models to make a fast back top for a miata.  print in sections and then fiberglass over it.

Not strictly 3D printing but easier than make molds.

Yes, exactly.

I considered doing it that way. I have a Prusa Original XL that has a print volume of about 14" x 14" x 14" but I think I'd rather do it one piece. It's fiddly doing it in parts and nowadays building your own printer is not that big a deal compared to what it once was. Plenty of resources out there.

On 3/15/2024 at 4:13 PM, Root Moose said:

Yes, exactly.

I considered doing it that way. I have a Prusa Original XL that has a print volume of about 14" x 14" x 14" but I think I'd rather do it one piece. It's fiddly doing it in parts and nowadays building your own printer is not that big a deal compared to what it once was. Plenty of resources out there.

You are right, CNC has never had easier barriers to entry than now, but as someone who has used 3D printing professionally, trying to print a single piece that large scares the crap out of me.

Printing in sections will require more work on the back end, but I can't imagine my reaction if i had a print of that volume that had a failure near the end of its print.