Load sending valve

7 minutes ago, Salvagedcircuit said:

It looks like you already soaked them in penetrant, but make sure to use brake line wrenches. They do provide a lot more leverage on those tiny annoying brake line fittings.

AGREED.   I HIGHLY recommend that you use what is called a "flare nut wrench" on those fittings if they are the least bit rusty.   Also, some heat from a propane torch will help loosen the rust as well.   

Some people get all worked up about using heat near a brake line, since brake fluid is theoretically combustible, but I have never had any issues.  Then again, I am not applying heat to such a degree as to cause things to get cherry red or melt, either.

2 minutes ago, cruiser54 said:

Why are the guys from Arizona giving advice on dealing with rust? 

Because those of us from the rusty parts know there is no hope for that fitting... :laugh2:

But really, a flare nut wrench makes a big difference preventing stripped fittings. You can always resort to vice grips, but that's not a pretty ending.

53 minutes ago, cruiser54 said:

Why are the guys from Arizona giving advice on dealing with rust? 

Hahaha, funny indeed. Flare nut wrench escaped my mind :idea:. The fittings on mine my master cylinder were rounded over, but the flare nut wrench made all the difference. I ended up replacing all the fittings anyways because my lines were shot, but its definitely an invaluable tool to have. :eek:

1 hour ago, Salvagedcircuit said:

It looks like you already soaked them in penetrant, but make sure to use brake line wrenches. They do provide a lot more leverage on those tiny annoying brake line fittings.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn’t know there was such a wrench. I will go buy a set and report back. 

• 3 weeks later...

@cruiser54 Is it possible for you to post pictures of your setup? I am looking at upgrading my booster to a WJ dual diaphragm and while I'm doing that I figured id remove the load sensing valve and run new front/rear brake lines. Sounds like I should remove the MJ prop valve while I'm at it.

Not necessarily... Flare nuts on front are rusty, passenger is completely rounded, driver is on its way. I am in process of installing a lift, so I need extended soft lines. Instead of dealing with the flare nuts I decided it might be easier to run new lines. Figured id do rear at the same time. I'm not a very experienced mechanic but I just can't help but think these 36 year old brake lines could use replacing.

Edited by NickS
additional information