1JTHL6572GT013083

gprguy

1986 Jeep Comanche X

image.jpeg.10f1ab9f3b96373f941f595651ce678d.jpeg

2.5l 4 cylinder / 5 speed manual / NP207 Command-Trac/ Dana 30 front / Not sure on Rear Axle / Long Bed

Build date: August 1985.

Current Location: Near Seattle, WA.

Status: Just bought it, was sitting a couple years, ran before that. Needs some work to get back on the road.

Notes: Looks to be a survivor - has a couple dents and scrapes but is remarkably straight. No rust other than some surface rust on the bedrails and where the passenger rear was hit (which unfortunately took out that tail light). Rockers, floors, door bottoms - everything looks original and solid. Interior is in pretty good shape other than the driver's seat. I believe the color is Garnet inside and out, seats look to be Highland Check. Tailgate may have been replaced or repainted at some point, the color is a little off and the Jeep logo isn't painted orange like I think it may have been from the factory (not sure on that though). Wheels do not look to be original, must be off a later year XJ or ZJ. Not sure why the X badge is missing under the Comanche badge, it looks like it was never there to begin with.

Current owner: Me.

Just joined the forum after picking this up - I've always wanted a Comanche but this is my first. My wife and I have a long history of mostly TJ/LJ's but also an XJ and YJ in the past. I have a bit of a thing for Jeep trucks myself, my LJ is converted with a half cab.

I plan on getting this back on the road as I have time between other projects and using it as-is for now. Longer term I have some project ideas..

Any info or a build sheet would be greatly appreciated - I'm not even sure what trim level it is although the interior looks pretty fancy (it has the quartz clock, a tach and A/C).

Thanks!

Thanks! That's probably the best angle, but it's pretty good all the way around..

image.jpeg.a390c02ce602e5bbf89b237808789a29.jpeg

IMG_5691.jpeg.0b2dfa441869236c6a7f18e1fc606a21.jpeg

IMG_5690.jpeg.fb4b3b6d65bd8a8c2ca57f10d4864aa3.jpeg

IMG_5689.jpeg.036fda0a55bd8853f272b6f72847b731.jpeg

IMG_5688.jpeg.07c4fc5f1d1245f61fbf48b0278d1e38.jpeg

IMG_5694.JPG.fedf198510db0c73cf94849fa3fe22cc.JPG

I am thinking the rear bumper isn't original, it has a Luverne truck parts sticker on it.

Definitely needs a new windshield, and the rear slider's center section has been replaced with a piece of plexiglass - I imagine a new rear slider will be tough to find. The drip rail trim is rough too, but the drip rails themselves are in pretty good shape.

Needs a lot of little stuff, but hopefully it'll be a good runner once I get it to start.

97+ XJ front glass is the same.  aftermarket slider rear windows are no longer available new. :(  this is a recent discovery though, and it might be possible to find a reseller out there that has one left.  but I'm not exactly beaming with positivity on that. :( :(  

*ZZ TRIM STYLE ZZ - BUCKET SEAT
-ZZ  
AGY Seating Group
AJT RADIO PREP GROUP
AJY Popular Equipment Package
AWJ Visibility Group
BAC 75 AMP ALTERNATOR
BCQ Battery - Maintenance Free
CGW  
CKA CARPETS - CLASS I SHORT PILE 8 - 12 OZ
CUF FULL LENGTH FRONT CONSOLE
DDQ Transmission - 5-Speed Manual
DMN 4.10 Axle Ratio
EPD ENGINE - 2.5L I4 TBI GAS
GAC ALL WINDOWS - TINTED GLASS
GFD SLIDING RR WINDOW
GTZ MIRRORS - MANUAL REMOTE
HAA AIR CONDITIONING - FRONT
HCC HEATER W/UPR LEVEL VENTIL - TYPE II
JAY Instrument Cluster w/Tach
JFH TACHOMETER - MECH
JGB Clock - Digital
JHA WINDSHIELD WIPERS - DELUXE
JJA CIGAR LIGHTER - FRT COMP
K60 BODY SIDE MLDGS - VINYL
LAP FUEL ECONOMY SHIFT INDICATOR LIGHT
LMA HALOGEN HEADLAMPS
MBJ Bumper - Front, Black
MDA FRT LICENSE PLATE ATTACH REQUIRED
MFD BRIGHT GRILLE - TYPE I
NAA ESA W/CATALYST (EXC CALIF SYSTEM)
NFA TANK - 23 GAL FUEL
NMB ENGINE COOLING - STANDARD DUTY
SBA POWER STEERING
SCG LEATHER STRG WHEEL - EURO/SPORT TYPE
SUA TILT STEERING COLUMN

Build Date 8/5/85

Body Model JM62

2 hours ago, gprguy said:

@JMO413 Thank you very much!

I've gone through and edited the common mistakes in the list. :L:   for example you don't have a 20gal tank (likely a 23) and the ratio wasn't that weird number but likely 4.10.   most of it was accurate though.  and lengthy.  usually there's more info that's been lost for the 86-88 years.  you're very lucky!  :D 

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

I've gone through and edited the common mistakes in the list. :L:   for example you don't have a 20gal tank (likely a 23) and the ratio wasn't that weird number but likely 4.10.   most of it was accurate though.  and lengthy.  usually there's more info that's been lost for the 86-88 years.  you're very lucky!  :D 

No worries, I know how Chrysler likes to re-use option codes. Pretty sure I don't have next generation air bags either. :laugh: Thanks again.