Do you need to pull the instrument cluster on an 1988 MJ to replace speedometer cable?

This is helpful. In removing the instrument cluster bezel/upper instrument panel at least enough to disconnect the cable, couple questions:

1. I took out the top screws for the lower instrument panel - will that be enough or will I  end up taking that completely off too?

2. How do the tabs work for the upper instrument panel? 

I don't want to break them, especially the one in the upper right corner. Maybe a shimmy tool?

Hopefully the lower tabs just pull up and out.

If you have cruise control, there will be the regular speedo cable, which screws into a speed sensor.  Then a short section of speedometer cable that goes from the speed sensor to the instrument cluster.  

35 minutes ago, Phil Reinsch said:

This is helpful. In removing the instrument cluster bezel/upper instrument panel at least enough to disconnect the cable, couple questions:

1. I took out the top screws for the lower instrument panel - will that be enough or will I  end up taking that completely off too?

I don't want to break them, especially the one in the upper right corner. Maybe a shimmy tool?

Not sure what you are asking here.  Pictures would be helpful.

Here is a picture of the speed sensor and short cable if you have cruise.

11 edit.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Phil Reinsch said:

If you are talking about removing the dash bezel, there are four screws.  Two above the instruments.  One above the headlight switch.  One above the cigarette lighter panel. When you remove the dash bezel, there is a tiny metal clip on the cigarette lighter panel that the dash bezel screw goes into.  It is easy to bump it, knock it off, and lose it.

XJ cigarette lighter panel dash bezel screw clip.jpeg

Mission accomplished! Thanks for advice.  I removed upper dash and instrument cluster as there was no way to reach cable at back of speedometer from underneath. Not necessary to detach lower dash. Plastic tabs are sturdy, a putty knife and flathead allowed me to carefully pry loose. Unscrewed clock to move aside for room to reach.  Bought Pioneer replacement cable, 96 or so inches.  unexpectedly, the rubber firewall grommet that came with the cable was a pain to get seated.