Heater core recommendations

I’m sure this question has been asked a bunch of times, just can’t find a definitive answer. I’m gutting out my MJ’s interior to fix some rust, add wiring, dynamat etc. I figured it will be a perfect time to replace the heater core, as preventive maintenance more than anything, and because when i bought the truck and drove it home on a chilly night the heater air was barely warm so it could be the core or something else. I’m assuming the current core is factory as the heater box still had the strap and the core seems to be brass. I’ve read and seen youtube videos in regards to heater cores on MJ’s/Xj’s, a lot of people recommend  brass/copper heater cores over aluminum as aluminum cores are prone to premature failure and as you know a leaky heater core to replace is a real PITA once the dash is assembled. Most if not all online retailers have aluminum cores. Only a couple smaller manufacturers have copper units but can’t get ahold of them, based on other members experiences should i get an aluminum core? If so what brands, I’ve seen mixed reviews on different brands, does anyone know of a website where I can get a brass unit? Any brands i should avoid? Thanks 

IMG_7421.jpeg

1 hour ago, Gjeep said:

VistaPro on eBay. Have them in 3 of my XJs. They’re brass/ copper. Looks like they also sell on Amazon now. 

I’ll look into it, where did you find it? do you have a part number? Thanks 

i own a repair shop.ive found the spectra brand seems to fit the heater boxs better than most.you would be surprised how many heater cores simply won't fit in the hvac box.napa used to use spectra for there heater cores but they changed brands when covid hit a couple years ago and now whatever brand they use doesnt fit the same.

On 10/26/2023 at 4:26 AM, ratrapp said:

i own a repair shop.ive found the spectra brand seems to fit the heater boxs better than most.you would be surprised how many heater cores simply won't fit in the hvac box.napa used to use spectra for there heater cores but they changed brands when covid hit a couple years ago and now whatever brand they use doesnt fit the same.

I was looking at the spectras on Amazon and other forums, they have really low ratings for leaking and failure. I think NAPA is using 4 Seasons, at least locally. 

knock on wood but i havent had any of the spectra brands leak prematurely in the last 20 plus years.they will all eventually go bad because quality is a thing of the past anymore.what might have been a great brand 10 years ago isnt good anymore.i can't tell you how crappy moog parts have got.

On 10/27/2023 at 7:05 PM, ratrapp said:

knock on wood but i havent had any of the spectra brands leak prematurely in the last 20 plus years.they will all eventually go bad because quality is a thing of the past anymore.what might have been a great brand 10 years ago isnt good anymore.i can't tell you how crappy moog parts have got.

I know, not only on auto parts, I have been an electrician for 22 years and have noticed the same trend, great brands years ago have been producing a lot of crappy parts lately. 

16 hours ago, 75sv1 said:

I bought two brass cooper ones from two different vendors. Seems they were from the same source in Mexico. Quality looked OK.

Do you have a brand/website? All I’ve seen so far is aluminum and some of those aluminum cores have really bad reviews, I don’t mind paying a little extra for brass, as replacing the core isn’t fun, and since my MJ will be a daily driver in most cases living in Colorado heat is a must. 

There may well be a heater core check valve that leads in through your firewall off of your thermostat housing. I just had to replace mine because it broke while I was replacing my valve cover gasket. If it were not opening or only partially opening it would severely hinder your heaters ability to do its job. Just something to look out for if replacing the heater core doesn't solve the issue.

1 hour ago, Backpacker said:

There may well be a heater core check valve that leads in through your firewall off of your thermostat housing. I just had to replace mine because it broke while I was replacing my valve cover gasket. If it were not opening or only partially opening it would severely hinder your heaters ability to do its job. Just something to look out for if replacing the heater core doesn't solve the issue.

Thanks for the advice, I will be replacing as many parts as I can while doing this, you’re probably referring to the vacuum actuated valve. Along with the heater core I will replace the heater and radiator lines and the mentioned valve. Previous owner installed a new radiator a couple years ago so it will stay for now. Living in Colorado can’t be without a good defroster/heater. I’m fixing up my MJ to be driven year round.