Motor Bicycles

Manche757

I recently moved from Virginia Beach, VA right on the Atlantic ocean where the highest natural elevation is 88 feet above sea level.  I would go for 25 to 30 mile bike rides regularly which is no big deal at all even at 73 years old.  I did not have to die to find heaven in Montana and very much like it here.  To the point:   I probably will buy an electric bicycle.  I want to be able to able to ride it with just pedal power but would like the motor assist to be ride up mountains.  I understand that gasoline ones are better than electric but at the moment, I am thinking the quiet of electric is preferable.  Does anyone have first hand experience with these?

If you plan on using it on a bike trail, a lot of places will only allow a pedal-assist bike, not one with a throttle lever/button. Also potential limitations on motor power. Something to consider. Don’t think it matters if you’re just riding on the street.

The only issues I’ve heard of anyone having with one aren’t really specific to e-bikes. If you throw max torque at high gear while going uphill you’ll probably wreck the chain and sprockets. It’s just a lot easier to accomplish with the added torque of an e-bike it you don’t gear down to go up hills. 

I have an Aventon. It is a wonderful device. Crazy range. Pedal assist is the greatest. It just allows you to ride much further without getting to the point of no return. Worth spending a bit more to get past the cheap Chinese ones (that also can catch fire). The more you spend the lighter they are and the better drive and batteries. They are heavier than a regular bike, so weight is important. My local e bike store where I got mine also likes Himiway and Velotric. I have also heard good things about Rattan. A class 3 is the way to go 28mph top speed which is scary enough.

1 hour ago, gogmorgo said:

The only issues I’ve heard of anyone having with one aren’t really specific to e-bikes. If you throw max torque at high gear while going uphill you’ll probably wreck the chain and sprockets. It’s just a lot easier to accomplish with the added torque of an e-bike it you don’t gear down to go up hills. 

Like the derailer going nuts when shifting?  That might be the hardest thing for the bike mechanics to adjust.

1 hour ago, Limeyjeeper said:

I have an Aventon. It is a wonderful device. Crazy range. Pedal assist is the greatest. It just allows you to ride much further without getting to the point of no return. Worth spending a bit more to get past the cheap Chinese ones (that also can catch fire). The more you spend the lighter they are and the better drive and batteries. They are heavier than a regular bike, so weight is important. My local e bike store where I got mine also likes Himiway and Velotric. I have also heard good things about Rattan. A class 3 is the way to go 28mph top speed which is scary enough.

I was hoping someone knew what you have expressed.  How long does a charge last you?    You would count on it to get you up a mountain?

14 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

Like the derailer going nuts when shifting?  That might be the hardest thing for the bike mechanics to adjust.

No, it’s the same as shifting a regular bike. Just back off a little and shift.

It’s more broken chains, ripping sprocket teeth off, bending or snapping chain rings, that sort of thing. The pedal assist will contribute enough torque that you can push hard up hills and climb really quickly, but the torque needed to hold 20mph up a hill is way more than a typical bike is built to handle. 

You might be able to rent one for a day or so from a local shop. See if it’ll do what you want. 

46 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

I was hoping someone knew what you have expressed.  How long does a charge last you?    You would count on it to get you up a mountain?

I have ridden for over 30 miles in one shot. Now it wasn't up a mountain, and I used the battery probably 10% of the time and it used about 20% of the charge. If you were going up a mountain and using pedal assist all the time, my guess is you would get about 20 - 25 miles or so.  The pedal assist is very efficient, and I only ever use the first stage. It gives you plenty of support. On a mountain you might need 2 or maybe 3. I can never see why you would need the highest setting. Aventon has a really good piece on their website about calculating range.