What do you carry for spares on a long trip?

Htchevyii

Ok guys, we are getting ready to head out on a few thousand mile trip in our "free" 1989 XJ. So far, I've put about 400 miles on it and have about another week to drive it before we take off. Long story short, the Jeep received a 1996 engine several years ago, but they didn't install the Renix flexplate. I have replaced all normal maintenance items, (tune up, all fluids and all brake, trans, cooling, fuel & PS hoses), belt, front hub assemblies, fuel pump, some u joints, oil filter housing seals, oil pan and rear main seal, V/C gasket and most brake components, (deleted the Bendix 9 ABS system). It also received a new radiator and alternator.

I carry a pretty extensive tool kit with metric, Standard, torx, ETC. As far as parts, CPS, IGN module, coil, belt, hose connectors for fuel and heater hoses, extra fuel hose, u-joints, assorted clamps, quick connect seal kit for fuel hoses and trans cooler lines, bag each of metric nuts and bolts, standard nuts and bolts and washers. And of course, fluids, silicone sealant, zip ties and radiator stop leak. What am I missing that you can think of or have had fail? The nice thing is that I can just swap the tools and parts between the '88MJ and '89XJ since most things are the same.

xj1.jpg

xj2.jpg

xj4.jpg

Good ideas, I have a compressor and plug kit that goes on every trip. I do need to buy another extinguisher ASAP though!

I also have wire, terminals, fuses, relays, ETC. Oh, and these field replaceable valve stems are pretty sweet!

71KrWVIe4fL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

9 minutes ago, howeitsdone said:

I'd say you're pretty dang prepared already lol. Tire plugs as mentioned but otherwise you have an AutoZone in your car as-is.

A lot of the time it's a long way to the nearest parts store!

161478814896914793.jpg1.jpg

uy.jpg

mj1.jpg

Basic socket set with a multi-bit screwdriver. Breaker bar. Brake clean and shop towels. 12V compressor. I've got some spare lug nuts, an old used serp belt, and some fluids. Occasionally I've ended up with a spare ujoint in the glove box. But mostly it's a good sense of ingenuity... I've done electrical repairs with a hatchet, fixed a fuel line with a piece of a dead tree.

Generally though I make sure it's going to be good for the trip before it leaves. As an example, if you've got a good belt and make sure all your pulleys turn nicely, you're not likely to lose a belt. If you've got fresh grease in your ujoints and there's no play in them, they're not likely to fail. If you've got good tires with appropriate pressure, they're probably not going to explode. If you've got a functioning cooling system with good coolant in it, you're not likely to overheat. If your wheel bearings are tight, all your steering and suspension pivots are free of play and greased, it's unlikely you'll have issues in the next few thousand miles. Catastrophic failures rarely happen without ample warning, you just have to look for the signs, and choose not to ignore them. Most repairs are way easier to make in your driveway before you leave than they will be at the side of the road. 

I always travel with a socket and wrench set.  That's it.  The types of failures I've had on long trips required a tow.  It was on the newest car I've ever owned, a 2013 Mini with a slow coolant leak that resulted in a melted down engine.

I've brought duct tape, zip ties and super glue and used them before.  

As stated, preventative maintenance is key, rarely catastrophic stuff happens without warning.

On 5/28/2023 at 6:25 PM, pizzaman09 said:

I always travel with a socket and wrench set.  That's it.  The types of failures I've had on long trips required a tow.  It was on the newest car I've ever owned, a 2013 Mini with a slow coolant leak that resulted in a melted down engine.

I've brought duct tape, zip ties and super glue and used them before.  

As stated, preventative maintenance is key, rarely catastrophic stuff happens without warning.

We have to be a little more prepared for the places that we go. There are no stores and tows would be hard to come by if not very expensive! Most problems have been relatively minor, (loose bolts and such). You would be surprised how many issues can develop on a 3000 mile trip with hundreds of miles off road, even when you think its in tip top shape. The biggest problems have been failures of newer parts such as the LUK internal slave cylinder that suddenly and catastrophicly failed with 10,000 on it. We drove 500 miles home from the Black Rock desert in NV to Northern CA with no clutch. I mostly try to prepare for issues on the trail that will prevent me from getting back to civilization where I can get a tow. Oh ya, my Flowkooler water pump somehow sprung a leak sitting in the garage with 8,000 miles on it. I'm going to need a bigger spare parts bag. 🤑

On 5/26/2023 at 8:16 PM, gogmorgo said:

Basic socket set with a multi-bit screwdriver. Breaker bar. Brake clean and shop towels. 12V compressor. I've got some spare lug nuts, an old used serp belt, and some fluids. Occasionally I've ended up with a spare ujoint in the glove box. But mostly it's a good sense of ingenuity... I've done electrical repairs with a hatchet, fixed a fuel line with a piece of a dead tree.

Generally though I make sure it's going to be good for the trip before it leaves. As an example, if you've got a good belt and make sure all your pulleys turn nicely, you're not likely to lose a belt. If you've got fresh grease in your ujoints and there's no play in them, they're not likely to fail. If you've got good tires with appropriate pressure, they're probably not going to explode. If you've got a functioning cooling system with good coolant in it, you're not likely to overheat. If your wheel bearings are tight, all your steering and suspension pivots are free of play and greased, it's unlikely you'll have issues in the next few thousand miles. Catastrophic failures rarely happen without ample warning, you just have to look for the signs, and choose not to ignore them. Most repairs are way easier to make in your driveway before you leave than they will be at the side of the road. 

Some good points there, but we have gone on 3000 miles trips with hundreds of miles off road. The Jeep gets used and taxed in ways that it normally doesn't, especially when combined with desert heat and problems seem to develop at a drastically quicker pace. On the last big trip it was the internal slave ASSY that was 3 years old. That led to an external conversion after a stressful 500 mile trip home! Of course I prepare as much as possible, but on a 35 year old truck, there always seems to be something that develops on each trip especially when used off road.