Motor Oil

Heya...I have been using 10-30 motor oil in my '90 Comanche 4W. Last week I drove from Arizona to St. Louis and back, ballpark 3200 miles. One stint was 26 hours straight, with a few catnaps. The motor oil didn't get dirty until the last 3-400 miles. Have to wonder if the oil is doing its job. What weight of oil are others using? Amazing how comfortable the Comanche is on a long trip.

10-30 is just fine, Personally I feel oil is cheap insurance and change it every 2500 miles along with the filter. That's for my style of driving, mostly round town.

For driving like you just did, if that's the norm, you could stretch it a bit farther. if your worried, change the filter and throw in another quart.

CW

10w-40, and I change it once per season. I don't put many miles on it so I just stick to the every 3 months time interval.

While this thread is going I may as well ask. I hear a lot of people say they put 6 quarts in their 4.0, but when I do that the crankcase seems too full. I have been running 5 quarts all this time with no issues and the dipstick says it's perfect, what gives?

Since I haven't had my truck long I just did the first oil change on it. I decided to use 10-40 & it did take nearly 6 quarts with the filter.

Have to wonder why there are differences when each one is supposed to be built the same. I had a th350 trans in a chevy truck that would only hold 4 quarts after I dropped the pan & changed the filter(i did this every year). Every other one I've known held 5. :nuts:

The factory recommendation was 10W30, with an alternate recommendation of 10W40. In my '88 XJ (which I bought new) I ran 10W40 for the first 175,000 miles, then I changed to synthetic and I now run 5W50 because I had noticed the oil pressure was a bit low (40 psi) at highway speeds on long trips. But I'm now at 268,000 miles so a slight reduction in oil pressure isn't a surprise.