4WD Light

i know somebody asked about this a month or so ago, but i'm to lazy to go back and find it :D anyway, my 4WD light is on all the time now, it dosn't matter what i do, it don't go off. other than ripping the dash off and taking the light out what else can i do?

thanks in advance.

two basic possibilities: the t-case is always in 4wd and thus the light should be on, but that doesn't sound like the case. otherwise, sounds like you have a short in the ground side of the circuit, since correct me if i'm wrong but the light is controlled by completing the ground through the t-case. start tracing wires for a short with a multi-meter.

I have the same problem with my 89 MJ. Went to work Sunday morning in a snow storm and used 4wd all the way. Didn't take it out of 4wd when I parked it. Came out of work after 8 hours and since the roads were down to pavement, I took it out of 4wd. It drives fine, but the light has been on for a couple of days now. I was thinking maybe when it goes above freezing maybe some sensor would release or something.

I have the same problem with my 89 MJ. Went to work Sunday morning in a snow storm and used 4wd all the way. Didn't take it out of 4wd when I parked it. Came out of work after 8 hours and since the roads were down to pavement, I took it out of 4wd. It drives fine, but the light has been on for a couple of days now. I was thinking maybe when it goes above freezing maybe some sensor would release or something.

UI am going to bet your cad is not releasing. Not a huge deal, only means that the two piece axle on the pass side is now one piece. COMMON problem, it gets dirty from non use and "sticks" As long as you get 4WD when you need it. Read up and next chance you get remove, clean and inspect for problems.

CW

CAD ? What does that stand for?

Thanks !

Hopefully my memory is correct on this one. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it stand for Central Axle Disconnect? Like I said, my memory isn't the best, and I'm still learning these things as I go.

CAD ? What does that stand for?

Thanks !

Hopefully my memory is correct on this one. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it stand for Central Axle Disconnect? Like I said, my memory isn't the best, and I'm still learning these things as I go.

BINGO!!!!

Yup thats what it is. Its located on your front axle on the apss side. You can see it if you look behind the pass side front tire. Its got three hoses running into it.

It controls the collar that connects your inner and outer axle shafts. With out it (As long as you have an open front diff) you you won't get power to front wheels. it will just spin the spyder gears in your front pumpkin.

CW

There is a contact switch inside the CAD housing on the side opposite the vaccuum motor, and when the CAD is activated and slides over it closes the circuit for that dash light. Like CW said, most likely the motor is "stuck" in the engaged position, and the switch is still closed. Pop the electrical connector off and see if the light goes out.

Here's a bad pic of the assembly, but you can see the wires for the switch in the top of the housing. Imagine it flipped over and rotated 180 degrees, sitting on the axle, and you can see where the switch is...

HTH,

Jeff

Image Not Found

my 4x4 light has been on for a year or more unless i'm really on the throttle,

(my theory is it makes enough vacuum at heavy throttle to pull it open)

...this is me not caring. my 4x4 works when i want it to, better than the alternative of it not locking in :dunno: