Why does key not remove from ignition

87 automatic cruise control column, swapped onto a 89 manual MJ. Key clicks into what I think is accessory, then run, then start. But when rolled all the way back the key won’t come out. I’m guessing this has to do with the neutral safety switch kinda deal from the auto. What do I have to do?image.jpg.dbd38c1ddf409c1236d368e6ddf29e96.jpg

Pic shows key as far backwards(counter clockwise) as it lets me turn it 

Nevermind! Found it, I’ll post a pic incase anyone else has this problem and finds this. image.jpg.39d2d8ae82bdfcf399e2aa491cc60b9e.jpg

this ball joint thing is how the column knows if an auto trans is in park. It needs to be pulled towards the driver to allow the key to be removed 

5 minutes ago, Warren99 said:

Nevermind! Found it, I’ll post a pic incase anyone else has this problem and finds this. image.jpg.39d2d8ae82bdfcf399e2aa491cc60b9e.jpg

this ball joint thing is how the column knows if an auto trans is in park. It needs to be pulled towards the driver to allow the key to be removed 

it needs to be pulled back towards the firewall, i have a write up on how to install the auto column into a manual that eliminates it. you can always just tie it back so that you can turn the ignition to the off position.

8 minutes ago, jdog said:

it needs to be pulled back towards the firewall, i have a write up on how to install the auto column into a manual that eliminates it. you can always just tie it back so that you can turn the ignition to the off position.

For me when it’s pulled toward the firewall, I can’t turn the key all the way off. What’s the name of your write up?

1 minute ago, Warren99 said:

For me when it’s pulled toward the firewall, I can’t turn the key all the way off. What’s the name of your write up?

I forget which way, it's been a while since i've had to mess with it.

lots of pictures and you have to get to the very bottom of the column.

Thanks, that will make it a lot easier. But right now the rod is pulled towards the driver, and the key can freely cycle to everywhere it needs to be and it doesn’t kick the rod forward. Is there anything wrong with me just leaving it like that? What would make me have to take it apart and remove it?

as long as it doesn't slip off and you can figure out a way to keep it engage, there should be no problem, just remember this gets buried under the dash and any issues you will have to go digging

I'm 90% sure that I didn't keep the cable that goes to it, but I can look to my parts and if I find it I'll use it. But for now, I'll try to come up with another temporary solution before I tear apart the whole column. And worst case, if my next solution fails when I'm out parking somewhere, I can just disconnect a few things under the hood to make it not start.

19 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution.:L:

Love that!

My key will not come out of the column in the XJ, so I am always worried that someone will just be able to open the door and just casually drive away. I will have to check this out. Thanks