1JTWL6572GT036029

zippoc04

1986 Jeep Comanche X

2.8L / AX5 / Transfercase UNKNOWN / Front axle UNKNOWN / Dana 35 / LWB

Build date: Sticker not present, unknown. Built in Toledo factory. 

Current Location: San Antonio, TX. 

Notes: Factory fog lights on bumper, super desired black spoke steering wheel, tan exterior, black cloth interior, bench, floor shift.

Current owner: Me

REQUEST: Any info others can share would be very desirable. Specifically interested in build month. I don’t believe it has the early 86 firewall, but how to identify would be helpful!

D33FFE0F-F95A-4AF1-A931-687F607E1189.jpeg

You are correct, it is indeed a 207. Hadn't yet crawled under the front of it until today. Also did confirm it is a Dana 30 up front with the awful, yet still functioning, vacuum-driven CAD. Thinking of putting Dana 489s all around and sticking it on a 6" lift with 35s. Want it to be a beach runabout that can handle heavy overlanding.

Really hoping to do an LS1 swap as well, add some more reliable fuel injection instead of the 2.8L. The thing purrs like a kitten, no valve noise at all, just has a slight leak from the notoriously crap rope rear main seal. Probably will retain the 2.8L for originality, but if there's any sort of market on those things, may get rid of it as well. Not really loving the transmission or t-case it's paired to. Again, all functional and no faults, just not known for being strong. Will likely opt for an AX-15 and have a few in spare for when I get too excited wheeling it hard with the LS1.

22 hours ago, coheed said:

As far as I've heard the NP228 only came behind the autos no? I can say my AX5 has a NP207 behind it.

228. :L:   for the life of me I can't keep the 228 and 229 straight.  lol.  the 228 has the open diff, the 229 has the viscous coupler. 

I’m already loving the banter here…my people.

While we’re on transfer cases, how is the NP231 on high torque applications. Now very heavily considering the Cummins 2.8 which puts out something like 360 ft lbs. Can the internals stand up to nearly 1000 ft lbs at the output? That’s about double what it was designed to behind the 4.0s

50 minutes ago, zippoc04 said:

I’m already loving the banter here…my people.

While we’re on transfer cases, how is the NP231 on high torque applications. Now very heavily considering the Cummins 2.8 which puts out something like 360 ft lbs. Can the internals stand up to nearly 1000 ft lbs at the output? That’s about double what it was designed to behind the 4.0s

the innards can be upgraded (6 gear sun, wide chain, etc).   but if in doubt, look into the 241hd  :L: 

On 3/20/2023 at 9:50 AM, Pete M said:

the Select Trac option was (I think) the 229.

On 3/20/2023 at 10:23 AM, coheed said:

As far as I've heard the NP228 only came behind the autos no? I can say my AX5 has a NP207 behind it.

On 3/21/2023 at 8:30 AM, Pete M said:

228. :L:   for the life of me I can't keep the 228 and 229 straight.  lol.  the 228 has the open diff, the 229 has the viscous coupler. 

NP228/9 are the same. The 9 internal viscous coupling that was found on SJ's but ultimately is the same as the 228. Thats the only difference. As far as what it was found behind, its AMC gents, it was more than likely found behind both auto and manual. I will be putting in a 229 in Chunk.

*ZZ  
-ZZ  
ADE COLD WEATHER PACKAGE
AJT RADIO PREP GROUP
AJY Popular Equipment Package
BAC 75 AMP ALTERNATOR
BCQ Battery - Maintenance Free
CGX Head Restraints-Outboard Seating, RR
DDQ Transmission - 5-Speed Manual
EFB ENGINE - 2.8L GM 6CYL
GAC ALL WINDOWS - TINTED GLASS
GFD SLIDING RR WINDOW