front fender flares flaking away

I had noticed the paint is flaking off the tops of the front fender flares, but only right up next to the body.

I took a closer look today and it looks like the actual material of the flares themselves is flaking away, taking the paint with it.

929170993_fender_flare_flaking(4)-Copy.jpg.6aababe9f05826f61b66c47b2a28590a.jpg

1614610977_fender_flare_flaking(1)-Copy.jpg.9eb215e448dc10614ae8588ece7ecc31.jpg

Ack!

The rear flares are not doing this, I'm suspicious it's a combo of age, sunlight, and heat from the engine doing in the flares.

Is there a mitigation for this?  Can I apply something to stop the loss?

The truck is gray, and I'd actually like to paint the flares black, if possible, but painting might be pointless if this rot is just going to continue under a fresh coat of paint.

Are there aftermarket solutions?

I like the flat metal flares I've seen on some XJ's, but they all seem to require cutting the fenders or adding armor, which I don't want.

There shouldn’t be a trim piece between the flare and fender. From my experience, the colored ones tend to do this but the black ones do not. XJ fronts are the same as MJ fronts, look in the junk yards or buy reproduction ones, I think they’re still made by Crown or Omix-Ada but not sure of quality.

2 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Man that really looked to me like a piece of rubber trim that’s been added. 

It's all flare, no trim there.

Sun is getting to the plastic.  I should at least dab some paint on it to keep the rays off I guess.

4 hours ago, Pete M said:

if you can see the white underneath, it's sun damage to the plastic itself. :( 

Yep, that's exactly what I see.  Dang.  Odd that it's not happening to the rears.

Duh me, repros are all over the place.

I suspect they won't last 30+ years like originals equipment, but they come in black, which is the color I want my flares to be...

https://www.morris4x4center.com/fender-flare-kit-master-5agk-m.html

Yes, I'd have to paint them to protect them.

All the products I've looked at claim they WON'T fit MJ's, which I really doubt.

I highly doubt AMC would design different flares for two models largely identical from the beltline down, but at the least the fronts would be the same.

54 minutes ago, brucecooner said:

Duh me, repros are all over the place.

I suspect they won't last 30+ years like originals equipment, but they come in black, which is the color I want my flares to be...

https://www.morris4x4center.com/fender-flare-kit-master-5agk-m.html

Yes, I'd have to paint them to protect them.

All the products I've looked at claim they WON'T fit MJ's, which I really doubt.

I highly doubt AMC would design different flares for two models largely identical from the beltline down, but at the least the fronts would be the same.

MJ and XJ rear wheelwells are different and so the flares are also different.  :L: