Need advice on a striped caliper bolt.

You need a socket like this... :brows: I'm not sure what size.... :roll:

57358.jpg

oh ok now you tell me!!!! :hateputers:

:D

I used a 1/2 12pt socket successfully on 3..... I think I'm going to change those bolts to a 6pt. I hope I can find some that are shouldered (lack of word) like the ones it has now.

OK, Thats it. Do you see those two rubber "lips"? Look inside, you will see a hex hole. These are the mounting studs the caliper mounts/rides on. These are the two bolts that need be removed to get the caliper off, not the ones you have removed.

No harm don't, your way will work, but as you have seen, its MUCH HARDER!!!

Glad you got it anyway!!

CW

OH BOY!! :oops: :oops:

Looks like I missed a couple chapters between my responce and everyone elses!! Please disreguard last post...

Only meant to spend a couple min's on EBay......time flys on there sometimes... ;)

GLAD YOU GOT IT!!!

CW

oh and any parts store worht a junk will sell a 7mm hex head 3/8th in drive separately and on the back of the package it will say brake caliper socket or something to that effect, i've had to buy it twice due to losing it once, it actually says jeep and years on it.

oh, and if you ever have any STRIPED bolts again... try spray paint, it'll make them all one color again :nanner:

not to disuade you but now sounds like a good time to go to the junkyard for that 4x4 swap! tell that wife it is not repairable!

thats what i would do... she would't know any different!!!

lol I like the way you think!!!!!

OH BOY!! Embarassed Embarassed

Looks like I missed a couple chapters between my responce and everyone elses!! Please disreguard last post...

Only meant to spend a couple min's on EBay......time flys on there sometimes... Wink

GLAD YOU GOT IT!!!

CW

Well that caliper in the picture wasn't the one that has the rounded bolt. The one with the rounded bolt is still chillin out

in the back yard laughing at me...

OK, Thats it. Do you see those two rubber "lips"? Look inside, you will see a hex hole. These are the mounting studs the caliper mounts/rides on. These are the two bolts that need be removed to get the caliper off, not the ones you have removed.

No harm don't, your way will work, but as you have seen, its MUCH HARDER!!!

Glad you got it anyway!!

CW

Well I figured that out when I pulled the right caliper and still couldn't get the pads out.... :oops:

A semi dealer might carry the shouldered bolts you need.

Sorry about not telling you sooner. I have owned newer XJ's that didn't use bolts. I went out and checked my MJ to find out what you needed.

Thanks I know a place I can call tomorrow.

oh and any parts store worht a junk will sell a 7mm hex head 3/8th in drive separately and on the back of the package it will say brake caliper socket or something to that effect, i've had to buy it twice due to losing it once, it actually says jeep and years on it.

oh, and if you ever have any STRIPED bolts again... try spray paint, it'll make them all one color again :nanner:

............ :roll:

............ :roll:

:rotf:

I would put a nut over it and mig weld it on.... Then I buzz it off with an impact. Works great if you have a welder and an impact. ;)

BTW the knuckle is not an area you should heat.

Hummm, yeah I guess heat might weaken something.. Guess I'll just grind it off, unless you bring that mig down here for a hour or so...... :brows:

I would put a nut over it and mig weld it on.... Then I buzz it off with an impact. Works great if you have a welder and an impact. ;)

Hummm, yeah I guess heat might weaken something.. Guess I'll just grind it off, unless you bring that mig down here for a hour or so...... :brows:

Err, why do you have to grind this bolt off? The only thing you did was strip the Torx head right? Or did you break it off, or even loosen it? It's still tight, so why flock with it? Tomorrow when you get the 7mm 6-point allen socket, you can remove the calipers and replace the pads and be back in business. Pull that stripped Torx later if you really have to.

Err, why do you have to grind this bolt off? The only thing you did was strip the Torx head right? Or did you break it off, or even loosen it? It's still tight, so why flock with it? Tomorrow when you get the 7mm 6-point allen socket, you can remove the calipers and replace the pads and be back in business. Pull that stripped Torx later if you really have to.

oh no I can't leave it like that.... It will bug the he!! out of me...

Okay - just thought you might need to get er done in a hurry. I've had my MJ and several XJs for a long time, and never had to pull these, but do understand what you're saying. I call it an NQR job - Not Quite Right, and don't like doing things that way either. jamminz.gif

Okay - just thought you might need to get er done in a hurry. I've had my MJ and several XJs for a long time, and never had to pull these, but do understand what you're saying. I call it an NQR job - Not Quite Right, and don't like doing things that way either. jamminz.gif

Nope not on the road yet.. still waiting on the title from state. Soon though,,,,,,soon...

fingers crossed.....

Just leave the freakin thing alone!!! remove the calipers the way they are intended and once the thing is on the road, take it somewhere where the nut can be welded on and you will be AMAZED to se the bolt turn right out!!!! Remember welding creats increadible heat....

CW

Sometimes from the factory they use Loc-tite on the stuff like that.. and figure its been a while since it was applied.. factor in some rust... I think a lil heat would work wonders on it. I also agee with them.. just weld a nut on it, and replace it with a grade 8 hex head

yeah...speaking of loctite.....I did a full fluid change on the TJ over the weekend. Got to the tranny (AX5) and almost broke off my torx bit getting the fill plug loosened. Yup....loctit-ed (RED) from the factory. The plug head even had "DO NOT REMOVE" stamped in it :nuts: .

Funnay......hope I didn't "void the warranty" :D

Jeff

Just leave the freakin thing alone!!! remove the calipers the way they are intended and once the thing is on the road, take it somewhere where the nut can be welded on and you will be AMAZED to se the bolt turn right out!!!! Remember welding creats increadible heat....

CW

ok,ok,ok, I will gezzz...... :D

Thanks guys your the greatest!!! :cheers:

This truck is starting to come together !! I have to take some pictures when I'm done, to show you all what you've helped me create.