Renix Cruise Control Kits

Couple years ago, I offered full complete cruise control kits and came with everything needed to set up an MJ or XJ with cruise control. Outlined here will be the details of the kit, parts included, parts not included, limitations and warranty of the outlined kit. :cool:

Details of the kit:

The kits made will be put together with new and used parts. Used parts being the wiring harness, the regulator, the vacuum football, speed sensor and the servo. New parts will include brake switch, vacuum harness, speedo adapter. *

I hand build the vac harness, it takes me some time to do as I use a NOS harness as a template to make sure the hoses are the right length from the football behind the bumper to the servo and engine side vac harness. 

All the regulators (yellow AMC box) have been/get tested before leaving my possession to ensure they are working and will be ready to go in your MJ. I do set the potentiometers on the regulator to basic testing specs to ensure the box is working, you as the end user will have to adjust the potentiometers to ensure cruise control is running how you want it to. I will include the adjusting procedure and what potentiometers do what with the instructions. :L:

All other used parts are tested to make sure they’re in working order. The regulator is the brains of the operation and is the most important to make sure it’s in working order. 

These kits include instructions faithful to what AMC typed up back when the kits were new. It is easy to follow and even references a DIY here on CC for visuals and help.

Now here is what the kit will include::brows:

Wiring harness, vacuum harness, brake switch, cruise/turn signal stalk, vacuum reservoir(football), servo w/cable w/mounting bracket, speed sensor, vacuum dump valve (most are attached to the wiring harness), speed sensor to cluster adaptor.

What isnt included::sad:

Speedo from the transmission to the speed sensor. Here is the part number for the speedo cable: 53006180(other numbers include:(2wd)53002871, 53006186,53009006, 05003807AA,(4wd)53000059, 53003899, 53004894, 53009000, 04740321), available from crown automotive. I purchased these cables when I used to make the kits, I liked the quality of them over the others, but if you do not, there is the part number to cross reference to other cables, it is for 4wd 4.0L but will work on a 2.5L w/4wd and even 2wd models. I can no longer provide these cables and If I did the price of the kit would jump up to cover the cost of the cable. Better to let the end user find the cable they like if they are unsatisfied with the cable I provided

On the user end:

Here is what will need to be done by the purchaser. Regulator adjustment. This adjustment will help dial in proper engagement of cruise control, when it engages and spot on engagement at the requested MPH setting. Instructions will be included. And purchasing a speedo cable. 

Price of these kits will run $200, that includes my time to assemble the kit, assembling the vac harness, the parts and shipping of the kit to you. Paypal friends and family option is preferred as it gives the seller the full amount.  If for whatever reason parts end up arriving damaged, I will see about replacing them at no extra cost.:D

Limitations: 

Sadly, I am limited to the parts I have on hand. If you're a 2.5L owner, I won't be able to make you a kit due to the servo cable lengths being different between both Renix engines. Now this doesn't mean that one can’t get creative enough to mount the servo elsewhere to work, I as a 2.5L owner did not find a good place to mount the servo properly that worked for me. If that is something you are willing to take the risk with, I won't be responsible for any issues that occur to the cruise control. 

Now if it's a 4.0L it will all bolt in place without any issues as most if not all the parts have originated from Jeeps that have 4.0L's.

*Depending on the model year of the cluster I need to know if I need to send an 84-86 adaptor or an 87-90. Also, it's the perfect opportunity to swap in an 84-86 full cluster if you are interested in that route. 

Warranty:

Now given most of the parts are almost 40 years old I am willing to give a warranty on specific, irreplaceable parts. One being the regulator, I did have one fail on me personally years ago and replaced it with a working one. I will provide a lifetime warranty (given if I have the parts) to the purchaser on the following parts: Regulator, servo and the throttle cable. Before sending any replacement parts, we will run through some diagnosis from the FSM to make sure that nothing is either user error or wiring harness fault. If I cannot provide a replacement part, meaning my stock has run out, then there won't be much more I can do as like I said, these parts are approaching 40 years of age and are NLA anywhere. That being said, I will be requesting the non-functioning part back to diagnose the issue. 

I will also not be held responsible for any damage to the cruise control kit once it is in your possession and has arrived safe and sound. Any user damage to the parts will null the warranty above and will be charged for the replacement part outlined in the warranty or any other part in need of replacement.

I am always available for any questions and concerns about the kit, installation and operation. 

The line of people interested in the kit as follows:

Whitaker717

Yungupgrade

Jkey8195

ChiefSparkster

gvthnks

I will send each of you a PM asking for shipping info, once I have that I will follow up with a tracking number as soon as I get it shipped. Expect a week or two of production to at least get a couple kits made. Oh and please let me know which year set up you are running or if you swapping to an older style cluster. :L:

33 minutes ago, Airborne Janitor said:

Does this kit use a different brake switch than what is already there? I ask because I did the 96 brake booster upgrade and used a GM brake switch instead. 

Yes and no. It uses the same brake switch, but uses one that has two extra sets of terminals on it for the cruise control plug. 

4 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

First two kits have rolled out. Please comment on the feeler thread if youre not interested anymore and your name is on this list. I will be knocking out more kits hopefully this weekend. 

Thank you all for your business and patience!

Definitely interested. 

• 3 weeks later...