84 XJ parts from local PnP

schardein

So the local Pick-n-Pull had a 1984 XJ (4cyl, manual, 4x4, 2dr).  Of course I had to go take a look.  Initially I was interested in grabbing the axles if they had 4.11 gears, but turns out they were 3.73.

Always interesting to look at the really early XJs.  Notice the bucket seats with no headrests, A pillar trim that doesn't use screw covers and of course the cowl panel with the single windshield squirter.

One thing that caught my eye was the steering wheel. The spokes seem to be painted (powder coated?) black from the factory.  I've never seen that before.  

Also scored a Cordovan steering wheel from an 88 XJ on this trip. And a 91 MJ tilt steering column!

IMG_7013.jpeg

IMG_7012.jpeg

IMG_7014.jpeg

IMG_7036.jpeg

IMG_7021.jpeg

Ooooo love me an 84. Interesting on the steering wheel, never ever seen that before. 

Those seats are worth a grab. The lower dash doesn’t have speaker grills and makes a good candidate for a clean interior look in the MJ. 

Those A-pillars are worth a grab just because they don’t use covers in 84-85. 

Since it’s a two door there probably is 2 door specific stuff to grab. Mine is a 4 door so it’s challenging on what to else to grab that I can use. Maybe the cluster if it’s a full cluster. 

Also the XJ has the good external slave set up for the 2.5L which makes that a good snag. 

4 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Ooooo love me an 84. Interesting on the steering wheel, never ever seen that before. 

Those seats are worth a grab. The lower dash doesn’t have speaker grills and makes a good candidate for a clean interior look in the MJ. 

Those A-pillars are worth a grab just because they don’t use covers in 84-85. 

Since it’s a two door there probably is 2 door specific stuff to grab. Mine is a 4 door so it’s challenging on what to else to grab that I can use. Maybe the cluster if it’s a full cluster. 

Also the XJ has the good external slave set up for the 2.5L which makes that a good snag. 

Good info.  

I find it interesting that the instrument cluster housing is white, like the 91+ electronic clusters.  It can become confusing when someone says "all speedo cable clusters are blue". I used to say it.  Not true.

The cluster was a 3/4 cluster, with the blue mark at the cold end of the temp gauge, which is what I look for to quickly identify very early clusters.

The lower dash wasn't horrible but did have some cracks.  

When you say the clutch setup, is it the bell housing that is worth grabbing, and/or the pedals?

The engine compartment was mostly complete if someone needs early 4cyl stuff.

The yard is 1.5 hours away, but I could try to head back if there is something anyone wants.

33 minutes ago, schardein said:

I find it interesting that the instrument cluster housing is white, like the 91+ electronic clusters.  It can become confusing when someone says "all speedo cable clusters are blue". I used to say it.  Not true.

Yes. I found this out when I pulled a full cluster from an 85 and if you remove the black bezel from the cluster you’ll find a blue film to help dim the power of the lights. Which is why the Renix clusters are blue actually. 

34 minutes ago, schardein said:

When you say the clutch setup, is it the bell housing that is worth grabbing, and/or the pedals?

The engine compartment was mostly complete if someone needs early 4cyl stuff.

The entire bell house and front retainer of the transmission with the clutch line. Great plug n play for us 4cyl guys. 
As for the engine compartment, there’s not much worth grabbing. The 4cyl carbed version is very rare as is and most guys who had them in CJs and probably Eagles swapped them out for the 6’s. The only thing from the carb set up I’d grab would be the air lid if it has the decals and the valve cover if it’s original. Otherwise I don’t know of anyone out there running the carb set up who need parts. I’ll be converting to the TBI set up in the future. 

I know I’m always after the wiring harnesses from 84-86 if you do go back. 

11 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

I was showing my wife the difference between the three tans available for the XJ and I stumbled upon this in my 84 Cherokee ‘sport wagon’ brochure

Wow, very cool.  I have a small collection of Jeep brochures but mainly CJ stuff.  If I hadn't found this steering wheel, I might have looked at that picture and just thought it was a trick of the light that made it look black.  It's crazy after years of learning about these old Jeeps, to learn something new.  

13 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Right?! I always say that 84-85 seem like the cool years for the XJ. Lots of unique stuff was done. I wonder why they stopped doing the black powder coated steering wheel? It looks more sporty then the brushed look with the rest of the wheels. 

All the weird wacky stuff like single-year interior colors probably cost too much to be sustainable for cash strapped AMC is my guess. Funny how once Chrysler got a hold of them it was nothing but the same grey, maroon, and tan for miles.

On 8/13/2022 at 9:48 AM, schardein said:

So the local Pick-n-Pull had a 1984 XJ (4cyl, manual, 4x4, 2dr).  Of course I had to go take a look.  Initially I was interested in grabbing the axles if they had 4.11 gears, but turns out they were 3.73.

Always interesting to look at the really early XJs.  Notice the bucket seats with no headrests, A pillar trim that doesn't use screw covers and of course the cowl panel with the single windshield squirter.

One thing that caught my eye was the steering wheel. The spokes seem to be painted (powder coated?) black from the factory.  I've never seen that before.  

Also scored a Cordovan steering wheel from an 88 XJ on this trip. And a 91 MJ tilt steering column!

IMG_7013.jpeg

IMG_7012.jpeg

IMG_7014.jpeg

IMG_7036.jpeg

IMG_7021.jpeg

Those black painted wheels were an AMC thing for sure. I've found them in early 87s in short boxes assuming late 86 production runs. I have a collection myself and love those wheels the best over any other style they made. I have the seat covers as well as some other weird AMC styles. I grab and pull anything clean that old. You would be foolish not to given how hard it is to find.

• 2 months later...

Bringing this thread back.  I recently pulled some stuff from a 1985 XJ Wagoneer.  Here is the dash clock.  Standard Quartz clock for the year, but I noticed on the back that it is held together with metal retaining rings versus the small plastic welds.  I never noticed this before, and checked my collection and sure enough a couple others have it as well.  Another one I have marked as a 1987 has the plastic welds.

Also, the heater blower switch connector is different than later versions.  I didn't know there was more than one version.

IMG_8282.jpeg

IMG_8283.jpeg

IMG_8262.jpeg

2 hours ago, schardein said:

Bringing this thread back.  I recently pulled some stuff from a 1985 XJ Wagoneer.  Here is the dash clock.  Standard Quartz clock for the year, but I noticed on the back that it is held together with metal retaining rings versus the small plastic welds.  I never noticed this before, and checked my collection and sure enough a couple others have it as well.  Another one I have marked as a 1987 has the plastic welds.

Also, the heater blower switch connector is different than later versions.  I didn't know there was more than one version.

IMG_8282.jpeg

IMG_8283.jpeg

IMG_8262.jpeg

Oh yeah I could’ve mentioned all this stuff. Plus 84-86 the clock plugs are different. The HVAC deck is unique and can’t go into our MJs without some modifications except maybe the 86 as the vac plug is also very different. My firebird uses the same switches funny enough. I’m still finding things that the 84-85 XJs have like the mounting for the carb computer is different than the Renix ones. That’s gonna be a fun thing for me to figure out how to mount in my XJ. 

I used to own an 89 XJ Wagoneer.  It was missing the chrome overlay above the rear license plate when I got it.  It took me a couple years to find one, in the age before internet.  Decades later, this is only the second one I've managed to find.  I no longer have the XJ Waggy, but it's a cool find anyway.

IMG_8354.jpeg

30 minutes ago, schardein said:

I used to own an 89 XJ Wagoneer.  It was missing the chrome overlay above the rear license plate when I got it.  It took me a couple years to find one, in the age before internet.  Decades later, this is only the second one I've managed to find.  I no longer have the XJ Waggy, but it's a cool find anyway.

IMG_8354.jpeg

Both that one and the Jeep one are hard to find. It seems like they’re always gone already or missing. Good find. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

I have this exact one on my desk….makes me wonder if AMC used the same cluster warning lamp filter for every cluster to cut down on costs…

Seems likely.  Most of the clusters I've had the opportunity to look at had the "full time" light, even if they weren't equipped with the 242 (this one has a "4WD" light).  But this is the first one I've noticed the diesel stuff on.  Makes me curious when that was phased out.  The Wagoneer had the 2.8 V6.