steering decision

so ive had death wobble since i lifted my mj. i thought it was the track bar for awhile because i couldnt get the castle nut on far enough to put the cotter pin through. well i finally got under the truck and had the girlf turn the steering wheel. to my horror, ive realized all my joints have alot of play in them. they twist on the ball like they are suppose too, but i can pull the joints in and out pretty easy with my hand.

so do i go get new tie rod ends for the whole front end, or do those kits with 1 1/4 tubing and i think they say cross over, make that much of a difference. what are your guys thoughts on this.

Give us some details.

How much lift do you have? Are you planning on going higher?

This makes a difference, as do some other things as you get higher.

well, as of now. I have 5 1/2" in front and 4 1/2 in the rear with soa. I'm currently running acos with 3" springs in front. I would like to go higher, and i do have chevy drop shackles and 4.5" springs sitting in the shed. I just want to see how my current lift works with 33" tires. if i feel good about the set up. ill be putting the other stuff up for sale. Future plans do include a d44 as i am running the stock d30 d35 axles. :D still trying to talk the lady into the tires, maybe next month. but i do need to get the steering thing figured out now because of the d/w

Personally I'd go to a junk yard and get some steering out of a V8 ZJ. The tie-rod is solid rod, and is very hard to bend. The drag link is the same way. I bent a drag link, but it was up by the adjuster collar. I'm running this setup at 6.5" and it works great! If you plan to get bigger axles in the future, and don't want to spend $$ on 1 ton steering, I believe this is the way to go.

With your amount of lift I would go with a over the knuckle cross-over setup. If you plan on keeping your D30 a WJ knuckle swap would be better yet. You will need to make your track bar angle match because of the higher steering. It is well worth the effort.

The ZJ set-up is ok, but the toe-in changes to much for me IMO at high lifts. It is great for 4" or less.

With your amount of lift I would go with a over the knuckle cross-over setup. If you plan on keeping your D30 a WJ knuckle swap would be better yet. You will need to make your track bar angle match because of the higher steering. It is well worth the effort.

The ZJ set-up is ok, but the toe-in changes to much for me IMO at high lifts. It is great for 4" or less.

My toe is dead on, and the thing tracks straight. It also appears that the adjusting collar has plenty of thread engagment. I don't plan for this to be a permanant setup. I'm keeping my eye open for a D60, and will go with either hydro assist, or fully hydro :chillin:

My toe is dead on, and the thing tracks straight. It also appears that the adjusting collar has plenty of thread engagment. I don't plan for this to be a permanant setup. I'm keeping my eye open for a D60, and will go with either hydro assist, or fully hydro :chillin:

The ZJ parts work but there are better set-ups to be had. Your toe-in is dead on at ride hieght but at full droop or compression it changes and is out of spec. It's the nature of the beast.

A better design is a cross over type that the toe-in stays the same no matter what position the suspension is at. Just like that D60 you are thinking about would use.

With your amount of lift I would go with a over the knuckle cross-over setup. If you plan on keeping your D30 a WJ knuckle swap would be better yet.

why the wj knuckle swap? yea, you got good taste man. i just priced out an over the knuckle cross over. wheeew, the lady was trippin when i told her the oem parts were $150 i may just have to do that for now. :cry: i think I'm a couple grand deep this month on parts. jamminz.gifjamminz.gif been a good month, can't wait for dec. :D

With your amount of lift I would go with a over the knuckle cross-over setup. If you plan on keeping your D30 a WJ knuckle swap would be better yet.

why the wj knuckle swap? yea, you got good taste man. i just priced out an over the knuckle cross over. wheeew, the lady was trippin when i told her the oem parts were $150 i may just have to do that for now. :cry: i think I'm a couple grand deep this month on parts. jamminz.gifjamminz.gif been a good month, can't wait for dec. :D

WJ swap equals bigger brakes, a seperate tierod and draglink. Both the drag link and tierod can be mounted over the knuckle for better clearance and angles then they already have. Do a search about the swap and you will see what I mean.

Here's a link and a couple of pics.

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=71442&highlight=front

tie-rod001a.JPG

Here a link for cross over steering

http://www.motionoffroad.com/suspension.html

you can build it cheaper if you have the tools and skill. It could be done for less then the stock parts cost.

You could also buy someones old steering that was still in good shape when they swapped it out. Then you could save for a different set-up.

dam that looks stout!! jamminz.gif

ill start the researchin' id love to have that set up. hummmm D44 or new stearing........ i keep thinking i need to get everything done right now. ive got alongggggg time. its sunday, ill drink a another beer and think about it whilst i stare at the mj. ;)

I'm going with a HP D44. Now my decision is to stay full width or shorten it some. I have a full width 9" or a 4.09 geared MJ rear axle I can use for the rear...... Time for another drink... :cheers:

This will still work on a 2wd and would be a great set-up for a prerunner.

I might just build a 2wd prerunner MJ to keep the miles off of my 4wd one. A nice v-8 swap with a 5 speed, 35" tires, 5.13 gears and about 5.5" of lift would be a blast.

Think JeepSpeed.

I might just build a 2wd prerunner MJ to keep the miles off of my 4wd one. A nice v-8 swap with a 5 speed, 35" tires, 5.13 gears and about 5.5" of lift would be a blast.

Think JeepSpeed.

don't flame me ,, but I was wanting to drop my truck just a tad and make it a sport truck... not slam but a subtle drop. It's a 2wd eliminator,, so just seems right.

Think JeepSpeed.

don't flame me ,, but I was wanting to drop my truck just a tad and make it a sport truck... not slam but a subtle drop. It's a 2wd eliminator,, so just seems right.

I would love a slightly lowered stiffly sprung fulltime 4x4 MJ with staggered gearing and tire sizes also. A trutrac in the front and a detroit in the rearend with some steep gearing would be sweet. I would love to be able to holeshot Evo's and STI's. :chillin:

No flaming intended, I like your ride. jamminz.gif

Think JeepSpeed.

I would love a slightly lowered stiffly sprung fulltime 4x4 MJ with staggered gearing and tire sizes also. A trutrac in the front and a detroit in the rearend with some steep gearing would be sweet. I would love to be able to holeshot Evo's and STI's. :chillin:

No flaming intended, I like your ride. jamminz.gif

haha!! Thanks, I have a 93 s-10 blazer 4x4 I want to turn into a Typhoon!!! LT-1, Astro AWD transfer, cv's up front and make it a Ferrari eater!!!! :brows:

After school with career and its on!!! :yes:

Although, wouldn't mind a lifted rock worthy xj ,, You know something I could haul the kids over and through wood to grandmothers house we'd go!! lol

fast is good :D beers for everyone!!! :cheers:

my fast one is a 06 mini cooper supercharged, thing takes corners real well! that was my last project :D

no one would see a fast jeep comin thou, element of suprise :brows:

I recently sold my '05 Dodge SRT-4 ACR. It was one of 277 built. I did some mods and had 301 whp with 395#'s of torque. It had a front posi, 5-way adjustable tokico struts, Viper seats and BDS wheels stock. My best time in the 1/4 on street tires was a 12.87 at 126mph and it was good for 167mph when the rev limiter kicked in in 5th. I raced many cars and shocked a bunch of people. My favorite kills wer '95 Viper and a '69 Vette with 427 solid lifter tri power engine and a 4 speed.

It was a blast to drive. Set the struts on 5 and 30mph rated turns were possible at 90mph.

Well thats enough off topic for me.....