Rear Window Trim

89 MJ

The rear window trim/seal/molding, whatever you prefer to call it in my MJ had a small tear in it when we installed it and when it storms hard, I was starting to get water in the cab towards the end of summer, so I am ISO the rear rubber piece around the rear window for my truck. I do not need or want the whole back glass.

2 hours ago, Smokeyyank said:

Was it for a slider or full piece glass? I have one possibly two. I'd have to poke through the shed to see. 

I have a slider. I don’t remember for sure if I used my slider one or the solid rear window one. My truck originally had the solid window. 

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

in theory a nick in the trim piece should affect water intrusion.  in theory.  :dunno:

That’s what I thought too, but I’m pretty sure I installed the solid rear window one because the slider one was trashed. I never knew there was a difference. 

I was thinking the same. That trim piece does not seal the glass into place. It does help reroute water away from the urethane seal underneath though. While you have the trim piece out though, it’s a good time to reseal the window. It’s also almost impossible to reinstall the trim with the glass in place. At least it was for me

7 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

I was thinking the same. That trim piece does not seal the glass into place. It does help reroute water away from the urethane seal underneath though. While you have the trim piece out though, it’s a good time to reseal the window. It’s also almost impossible to reinstall the trim with the glass in place. At least it was for me

That is probably what we are going to do. I’m not going to do it until spring, but I just want to have everything ready for when that time comes.