Can someone identify what this used to be...

A friend went and viewed an MJ this morning. Everything looked pretty good except for this. The pics are of the looking backwards at underside of the truck, near the passenger door.

drain1.JPG

drain2.JPG

My guess is that its the drain hole furthest back in the cab. Didn't have tools around to take apart enough of the interior to see the entire floor pan (live and learn i guess). What we could see had only minor surface in a few areas. Aside very small spot here and there, the rest of the underside of the truck is in really good shape.

underside1.JPG

No, not much of it. They pulled some of the trim off and pulled the carpet back to the seats on both sides and found only some minor surface rust. The owner was going to take some more pics and send them to me so i could post them here. He said something about needing a torx bit. Doing a search now for seat removal.

The passenger side door has some damage and its probably where the water is getting in.

yea, i think i'm going to be waiting on the owner to pick up the right torx bit and take everything apart.

The area of rust was soft, had lots of give; basically it seems to be rusted almost thru in that 4"x3" area. At what point is it better to cut and replace then use a rust converter? The truck is in good condition otherwise; it would make a great DD if it wasn't for that one spot.

if you're complaining about that one spot, then you're sorely misguided in the world of comanches.

you replace the entire soft section. to do that you remove the seat, lower interior trim, center console, and carpet. use a rust converter/dissolver/preventative AFTER you replace the bad section. if the rest of the truck is in great shape, you have absolutely nothing to worry about...that's not structural.

defiantly not complaining; just double checking with those who have more experience with MJs. After searching thru threads for floor pan and floor rust, i haven't yet found a picture that showed rust repair that far back in the cab floor. Didn't know if there was a reason for it or it. As long as its not structural, i'm too concerned.