1987 Jeep Comanche NON RUNING 4.0L 4x4 Automatic Peoria, Illinois

Whitaker717

Hi guys, I think it’s time to end my Comanche experience. I blew a head in my engine and don’t really feel like putting more money into it. Plus my wife is about to kill me. This is currently at a shop while I figure out what to do. The color is briarwood metallic but got a crappy paint job from a guy. All the bodywork is done and solid though. It is the 4.0L with 4x4 and automatic in the floor. I have put thousands into this thing for this to happen. Here is what I do to it:

-New radiator

-clutch fan

-water pump

-thermostat

-alternator

-all new brakes front tires back. Pads rotors, calipers, lines

-headliner

-rear shocks 

-newer tires

- roll bar

-new radio from Best Buy 

-plugs, wires, cap

i am hoping to get 6-8k out of it although that might not be realistic. Obviously it’s not perfect but if someone has engine knowledge it won’t take much to get it going. I will attach a few pictures of him. Shoot me  an offer. I do have more pictures of the work that’s been done too

CB59745A-6E71-4BDF-B8FF-3509DB58090B.jpeg

D533EC82-E8B0-429B-AB08-40F8D0B1DB00.jpeg

How much were you quoted to put an engine in the truck? You could probably get a used, known good engine for $600 or less and probably have about $1000-$1500 in labor in putting it in. At least that way it would be worth more as a running and driving truck if you still want to sell it, or you would be able to drive it some.

I’ll still put my money on the mechanic not burping the system correctly. 
I’ve pulled engines that were sitting for some time and never had issues.

I have seen a ton of XJ’s for sale with new water pumps and radiators and blown head gaskets. “Easy fix” Except that the rear piston is usually starting to melt by the time it gets pulled over.

49 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

How much were you quoted to put an engine in the truck? You could probably get a used, known good engine for $600 or less and probably have about $1000-$1500 in labor in putting it in. At least that way it would be worth more as a running and driving truck if you still want to sell it, or you would be able to drive it some.

He is looking for one now. He had a lead on one for 800.00. He was wanting more info on the engine though. 

43 minutes ago, FrankTheDog said:

How long did you drive it before the radiator change?

If I remember right not very long. It was in for some basic maintenance and if I remember one of the ports where a hose attached was rusted and leaking. We just decided to change out the everything when he had the radiator out. Like water pump, thermostat and clutch fan. 

10 minutes ago, Whitaker717 said:

If I remember right not very long. It was in for some basic maintenance and if I remember one of the ports where a hose attached was rusted and leaking. We just decided to change out the everything when he had the radiator out. Like water pump, thermostat and clutch fan. 

But it wasn’t overheating?

10 minutes ago, FrankTheDog said:

But it wasn’t overheating?

I believe it was. That’s one of the reasons it was in the shop. But I had fluid in my driveway and couldn’t figure out where it was coming from. That’s where he found the leak. He replaced everything and then did a flush and fill. 

I don’t think so because I drove it around for a couple thousand miles after I got it. Looking back though I do believe it was leaking or something because after the flush and fill my coolant wasn’t bright green it was more dark color. I think it was a ticking Bomb and didn’t realize it. 

• Whitaker717 changed the title to 1987 Jeep Comanche NON RUNING 4.0L 4x4 Automatic Peoria, Illinois

Archived