Where to Locate Air Compressor..

Getting to the point of being ready to add an Air Compressor to my rig.

Not sure just where to mount it.

Have a nice sized Tool Box, behind Pass. Seat. 

Have to keep the Hi-Lift Jack inside.

Have a bag with Straps, Jumpers, and some other essentials, behind Drivers Seat.

Have the Air Tank going in on Pass side, outside of Frame, with a Skid Plate.

Curious about where any others have mounted a Compressor.

Not for an MJ, but I mounted the ARB dual compressor beneath the driver seat of my CJ.  Made an aluminum mounting plate that is sandwiched between the seat base and the sliders.  The compressor is mounted on the bottom of the plate, "hanging" down.  A key mounting concern is to run adequate wiring.  I have dual 8ga leads straight from the battery, one for each motor.  The dual ARB is a beast, it filled a 5gal tank from 0 to 150psi in 4min 12sec.  Then I upgraded my grounds, and it dropped to 2min 21sec.  Later I switched to a 2.5g tank and a 120psi cutoff switch, and it fills in 1min 8sec.

IMG_8140.JPG

IMG_8141.JPG

ARB and gloves storage.jpeg

IMG_1837.jpeg

IMG_1838.jpeg

IMG_1841.jpeg

I have a Viair 450c that I've had bolted to a plate to be portable for autocross use (with my car), and I'm planning on putting it on the shelf where the closed coolant reservoir is once I put the new rad/2.5L reservoir in soon. I'll probably have to put the tank under the fwd part of the bed above the muffler.

On 8/13/2021 at 9:36 AM, schardein said:

Not for an MJ, but I mounted the ARB dual compressor beneath the driver seat of my CJ.  Made an aluminum mounting plate that is sandwiched between the seat base and the sliders.  The compressor is mounted on the bottom of the plate, "hanging" down.  A key mounting concern is to run adequate wiring.  I have dual 8ga leads straight from the battery, one for each motor.  The dual ARB is a beast, it filled a 5gal tank from 0 to 150psi in 4min 12sec.  Then I upgraded my grounds, and it dropped to 2min 21sec.  Later I switched to a 2.5g tank and a 120psi cutoff switch, and it fills in 1min 8sec.

IMG_8140.JPG

IMG_8141.JPG

ARB and gloves storage.jpeg

IMG_1837.jpeg

IMG_1838.jpeg

IMG_1841.jpeg

Neat Set up.

Made me want to check out ARB Compressors.

Under the Seat, gave me an Idea. Maybe get a Small ARB, stuff it in the Console, under the Armrest.

4 hours ago, GrizzzzBear said:

Neat Set up.

Made me want to check out ARB Compressors.

Under the Seat, gave me an Idea. Maybe get a Small ARB, stuff it in the Console, under the Armrest.

Thanks.  These compressors aren't cheap, especially the ARBs.  I'm not a fan of mounting them where they are constantly exposed to the environment.  I've seen JKUs with them mounted in the rear cargo area.  There are also mounts for under the hood, but that seems like a bad place to me.  I've read on a couple forums that the underhood heat can lead to premature failure, and phone calls to ARB got responses to avoid it if possible, and extend the compressor air intake if it is mounted underhood, to get cooler air.  I'm a fan of a permanently mounted system in my off road rig, but another option is the portable option ARB (maybe others?) offers.  I have this one and use it in my tow rig when I'm not pulling the CJ on the trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/ARB-CKMP12-Performance-Portable-Compressor/dp/B004P9A35E/ref=asc_df_B004P9A35E/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312061943738&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1738591818904421315&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9023661&hvtargid=pla-490738717419&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=62469739336&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312061943738&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1738591818904421315&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9023661&hvtargid=pla-490738717419