1989 MJ & 2001 XJ

The MJ had a awful bad rock to the engine so I assumed motor mounts (PO included motor mounts in the sale anyways). Swapped those out with no difference in movement. Did the entire ignition system and holy cow!!! Check out the corrosion on cylinder #1 spark plug (far right)

B8446CC3-84D6-4C8A-A6D2-2D3A55D65704.jpeg

Next thing is gonna be swapping out all the bushings on the front suspension! I bought and drove it 7 hours home with minimal issues (wouldn’t idle - bad vacuum lines) but now it’s developed a death wobble at speeds as low as 30 mph!

Nice buy. :L: yeah you have a good understanding about these suspension issues, so your just going to have to go through it for sure. Tackle them as they present has done me mostly good. :teehee:

Was it simple enough with the trim? I'm looking to have a new one installed myself and was determining on the newer style with rubber seal.:dunno:

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/12/2021 at 10:41 AM, Pete M said:

30mph is a crazy low speed for DW. :(  did you throw a wheel weight?  lug nuts all tight?

Been super hot lately and not very motivated.. finally got under the truck to verify everything is torqued correctly… the bushings all look pretty rough so that’s gonna be my next move. I’m also needing to check the ball joints but I might just go nuclear and replace everything 

On 7/11/2021 at 9:08 PM, MiNi Beast said:

Nice buy. :L: yeah you have a good understanding about these suspension issues, so your just going to have to go through it for sure. Tackle them as they present has done me mostly good. :teehee:

Was it simple enough with the trim? I'm looking to have a new one installed myself and was determining on the newer style with rubber seal.:dunno:

Door trim was a piece of cake really… I think it was the older style but you just have to push around some trim pieces and it’s pretty self explanatory once you get after it 

Well. I ordered a gauge cluster from someone on the forum and then got my dash all tore apart and ready for the non-dummy light cluster. Fixed the odometer to match, swapped the oil pressure sensor and temp sensors and then plugged the new gauge cluster in and nothing. Literally wouldn’t move any needles. So I thought I messed up a ground when removing the old one so I’ve been fussing with wires under the dash (nightmare on the street). Went to the JY and pulled another gauge cluster from an ‘87 XJ pioneer and plugged that guy in. Same story. Plugged my dummy light cluster in and that worked so idk if I bought 2 defective gauge clusters or what! Been super hot and the wiring has been frustrating so I’m barely touching the truck in the last couple weeks 

On 7/11/2021 at 9:08 PM, MiNi Beast said:

I realized you might’ve meant the windshield trim. It wasn’t too bad, I had to do new clips and it was tedious but went easy enough.. I like the chrome on black so I stuck with the old style

41 minutes ago, Ctwilson1 said:

Well. I ordered a gauge cluster from someone on the forum and then got my dash all tore apart and ready for the non-dummy light cluster. Fixed the odometer to match, swapped the oil pressure sensor and temp sensors and then plugged the new gauge cluster in and nothing. Literally wouldn’t move any needles. So I thought I messed up a ground when removing the old one so I’ve been fussing with wires under the dash (nightmare on the street). Went to the JY and pulled another gauge cluster from an ‘87 XJ pioneer and plugged that guy in. Same story. Plugged my dummy light cluster in and that worked so idk if I bought 2 defective gauge clusters or what! Been super hot and the wiring has been frustrating so I’m barely touching the truck in the last couple weeks 

what years were the clusters from?

20 hours ago, Pete M said:

what years were the clusters from?

I know the one from the junkyard was out of an 87 (it’s got the big fuel gauge but also has temp & voltage) and then the one from here I’m not sure about but it’s got everything (RPM, small fuel gauge, temp, voltage, oil pressure).

and my truck is an 89 

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

what's the condition of the circuits on the backs of the clusters? 

The one I pulled looks as good as the current one (no corrosion) but the one I got from someone on here is much worse off.. I might get around to linking pics when I get off work

11 hours ago, jdog said:

Stupid question,  is the fuse that says gauges good?

that is a valid point, I should check that, but I think because the stock cluster is working (Atleast the fuel gauge is), I would assume that fuse is good 

19 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

Can you post pics yet? 

This would be the gauge cluster out of the ‘87 XJ Pioneer. Sorry the cover is pretty hazy but you have

top left: coolant temp

bottom left: ???

top right: oil pressure

bottom right: voltage

451E1B85-0DB6-4E6B-932A-FD8A35A8CFB5.jpeg

02A542CE-36E7-4C75-9062-9211EA6EC717.jpeg