Harness Wrapping

I have wrapped maybe 10 harnesses and I feel like every time I do one I wrap it slightly differently. I usually resort to 3m Self Adhesive at junctions, appropriate split loom, then self adhesive over the split loom. Sometimes I wrap long sections of the harness, put it in split loom, then wrap again. Sometimes I use the expensive cloth tape stuff. 

Does anyone have a tried and true "best" way to wrap a harness? 

I use painless powerbraid along with the self vulcanizing tape at all the harness junctions. I use temflex on the wiring itself before the brade. Also use heat shrink whenever possible to seal the braid at the ends. Sometime connectors prevent that. 

I have used both the cloth tape and self-amalgamating tape and the self-amalgamating tape seems to hold up way better when sealing the ends of the loom.  The cloth tape, at least the ones intended for use inside the engine compartment, are good for wrapping the wiring before looming.  I like to wrap the wires fairly tightly before looming it, which helps keep the loom from opening up in tight bends.  That all sounds exactly like what you're doing, though.